Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
it's 'heelwork to music' I'd quite like to see a dog heal someone to music!

I have said before I really cannot see the issue here at all.

It's mentally and physically stimulating for the dog, it is NOT just to amuse us. Those of us who watch or take part in this, we don't do it to have a good laugh at our dogs, we do it because we...
1: Enjoy watching the dogs have fun
2: Enjoy giving our dogs something fun and interesting to do
3: Can't necessarily choose other options to do with our dogs

And many many more reasons.

My eldest won't play with toys (despite my best efforts to show him they're not scary) he can't do agility like my youngest and I'm not in a position to work him (whether he could do it or not, I don't know).
I've found that he loves learning new tricks.

Personally I would far rather spend time with him teaching him heelwork to music than have him sit in a corner and grow old with nothing else to do.

I truly think the people that believe this is humiliating for the dog, are far more concerned about humiliating themselves. Since when did dogs get humiliated by working for treats and praise?!

I will ask once again, if the dog enjoys something why or how can it be wrong?!
well said lottie. My 3 kids all do different things and all gain enjoyment from their chosen hobbies. I know dogs are not children but they all have personalities, likes and dislikes.In my opinion part of owning a dog is finding what it likes to do and fulfilling it mentally and physically. If your dog enjoys HTM, flyball, agility, obedience,or merely spending time and pleasing you then there is nothing wrong with that IMO.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I absolutely cant stand it! Nothing more than performing dogs doing circus tricks for the purposes of public entertainment. I dont like circus tricks and I cannot stand HTM. I can see NOTHING the dogs gets out of this, except perhaps possible health problems arising from unnatural movements like excessive walking on the hind legs etc.. They talk about huntsmen wearing a traditional pink jacket, but some of these, well lets say there isnt anything traditional about a lot of it!
Dawn.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I absolutely cant stand it! Nothing more than performing dogs doing circus tricks for the purposes of public entertainment. I dont like circus tricks and I cannot stand HTM. I can see NOTHING the dogs gets out of this, except perhaps possible health problems arising from unnatural movements like excessive walking on the hind legs etc.. They talk about huntsmen wearing a traditional pink jacket, but some of these, well lets say there isnt anything traditional about a lot of it!
Dawn.
For once i agree with a lot of what you said
I did not think about health problems but i do see it as they are doing a lot of things that are not natrual. I think if they do a lot of walking to heal without these unnatural movements and the dogs enjoy it thats fair enough as it can show how well trained dogs can be. Like i said on the first page it annoys me when you see owners doing it to show off their own dancing skills, its just like parents who push their kids into things they dont enjoy.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 07:52 PM
They sound like characters Amie! I like the thought of "easy to train". Just the opposite of a husky really! I have a husky cross - what many might refer to as a utonagan or a northern inuit, although he is unregistered. As far as I am concerned, he is a mongrel whom I love to bits. He is more intelligent than me, far better looking, much slimmer (for which I hate and envy him!) and at the age of 9 and a half is at last becoming really rather obedient! He is an intermittent stud dog and has bred 2 litters, with 2 more bitches ready, eager and waiting for his services.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I have a husky cross - what many might refer to as a utonagan or a northern inuit, although he is unregistered. As far as I am concerned, he is a mongrel whom I love to bits.
OK this is O/T but if you classify him as a mongrel or a husky cross then why do you have him written as a Utanagon in your profile ?
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
They sound like characters Amie! I like the thought of "easy to train". Just the opposite of a husky really! I have a husky cross - what many might refer to as a utonagan or a northern inuit, although he is unregistered. As far as I am concerned, he is a mongrel whom I love to bits. He is more intelligent than me, far better looking, much slimmer (for which I hate and envy him!) and at the age of 9 and a half is at last becoming really rather obedient! He is an intermittent stud dog and has bred 2 litters, with 2 more bitches ready, eager and waiting for his services.

I think I should of used the Term willing rather than easy

breeding Mongrels seems a shame when rescue centres are full of them But wont hijack this thread I might start a new topic on that one .
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
breeding Mongrels seems a shame when rescue centres are full of them .
Ah but perhaps you need to breed more mongrels as pedigrees dogs are really thick according to some people
spot
Dogsey Veteran

20-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Dawn.
Yet you see nothing wrong with dogs running round in tight circles in one direction constantly sustaining injuries doing something that does not come natural to them in other sports!

But back on topic, this is just one tiny aspect of what Mary Rea does, she does an awful lot in training dogs not just in HTM but obediance, agility and just basic training. I see this as more an opportunity to show what dogs can achieve with training. Not all dogs are going to get to these standards but she's giving people an idea what they can do to keep their dogs entertained and challenged and a bit of hope to those who may have just given up on training at the first sign of difficulty.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 10:04 PM
hmm... the amount of time my bitch stands on her back legs I can't really see any problem with doing HTM...

Surely all the pressure on their joints from doing agility jumps isn't healthy in that case?!

They're not circus tricks to the dogs are they? maybe that's what you see the tricks as, but the dogs enjoy them, enjoy learning and working.

So Borderdawn tell me, do you think I'm cruel by teaching Eddy to do 'circus tricks' instead of leaving him to sit, bored in the corner of the room because he doesn't like playing???? He sees his trick training as his playtime. Sorry if you think that's cruel - I'm afraid I can't agree.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
hmm... the amount of time my bitch stands on her back legs I can't really see any problem with doing HTM...

Surely all the pressure on their joints from doing agility jumps isn't healthy in that case?!

They're not circus tricks to the dogs are they? maybe that's what you see the tricks as, but the dogs enjoy them, enjoy learning and working.

So Borderdawn tell me, do you think I'm cruel by teaching Eddy to do 'circus tricks' instead of leaving him to sit, bored in the corner of the room because he doesn't like playing???? He sees his trick training as his playtime. Sorry if you think that's cruel - I'm afraid I can't agree.
I cant speak for dawn, but i think standing on hind legs is totaly different from bouncing around on them. Just because someone is against htm does not mean they are saying have them sit doing nothing, there a lot more things dogs can do that imo dont put preassure on their back legs through bouncing about on them, which i dont think is natrual.
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »