Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I think you will find that the reality is that you need at least 100,000 signatures for a petition to become ELIGIBLE for debate in the House of Commons.

The Backbench Business Committee then decide whether they should be debated in the House of Commons. Time for debates is limited to 35 days in each parliamentary session, and this has to take account of all the issues which MPs wish to discuss, not just those raised in petitions.
The OP 'cares' enough to start a petition, if we all sat back & did nothing, then nothing would change or come to light, even bringing this case to a few people here on a forum is bringing it out to the publics view.
kep127
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:39 AM
I just thought I would post to fellow dog lovers who share my passion, I do understand there is a lot out there but I am just so sick of feeling helpless I did donate to this little guys vet bills only to come to work monday to see he had passed which made me want to share this and push the petition more, I know I can't stop animal curelty far from it but I want to at least try change the punishment given. In the UK that stands at the minute under the animal welfare act 2006 which consits of a maximum fine of £20,000, a maximum six month prison sentence and gives magistrates the discretion to confiscate an animal from an owner convicted of an offence in relation to that animal (known as a deprivation order) or disqualify a convicted person from having custody of animals for as long as they see fit but this just isn't good enough. So I have tried to take a different approach with this petition and instead of asking for hefty jail terms and fines for that to get knocked staright out due to the prisons being full or child abusers and child neglect not evengetting the justice deserved I have asked for an instant ban from owning a pet again, regular home visits to be kept up to date to ensure no pet is kept after convicted, a register of offenders to be made public to all vets, kennels and breeders and some sort of animal awareness course to be brought in and attended just like we have to when we get caught drink driving in the UK. If successful with this which i do know it's a long shot but I am giving it my absolute best I don't want this to be a lazy petition, I have been to radio stations in Yorkshire and social networking sites and now forums and flyering I would then petition for animal welfare classes to be brought into education because our younger generation is our only hope. I do appreciate all of your comments and take them on board I just don't want to be a quitter I want to help. I am aware that there are other issues in thw rold such as child abuse but my passion especially since owning my own 2 spaniels lies with animals so I will fight for them.
kep127
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:47 AM
p.s sorry for the bad grammar I'm terrible at not checking before posting
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2012, 10:41 AM
The thing about regular home visits to ensure no pet is kept after convicted is who is going to do the visits, and who will pay their salaries?

Because as it stands there are nowhere enough Social Workers to make regular home visits to ensure that babies and children on the "at risk" register are being cared for properly, let alone people to make the regular home visits for which you are asking.
kep127
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Maybe the RSPCA could work together with the law which I know they do now but I do think there is a gap in the market for it yes it would cost but so do jail terms? They could replace each other. I know what your saying, maybe I am fighting a losing battle
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by kep127 View Post
Maybe the RSPCA could work together with the law which I know they do now but I do think there is a gap in the market for it yes it would cost but so do jail terms? They could replace each other. I know what your saying, maybe I am fighting a losing battle
I am sorry but I honestly cannot see the RSPCA or the law [by which I presume you mean the Police] making regular home visits to ensure that no pet is being kept.
kep127
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
The OP 'cares' enough to start a petition, if we all sat back & did nothing, then nothing would change or come to light, even bringing this case to a few people here on a forum is bringing it out to the publics view.
Thank you for seeing the positive from this, I do understand peoples views but my personal opinion is that people have now adopted this lazy attitude of 'what is the point of trying, you won't get anywhere' my brother is one of them and told me before creating this that he would sign and support but he didn't believe in it. It is a long shot but I did just bring it to a dogsey for fellow animal lovers to show support.
kep127
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I am sorry but I honestly cannot see the RSPCA or the law [by which I presume you mean the Police] making regular home visits to ensure that no pet is being kept.
To be honest I can't either but I'm fighting for it something has to be done, what is in place right now clearly isn't working they come out of prison better off. It's ridiculous! It makes me want to actually run away into my own little bubble and live there out of the bloody way but what's that doing?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2