Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-03-2011, 10:24 PM

Food labelling - does it bother you?

Is anyone else angered by the lack of food labelling laws in this country? Isn't it about time we knew exactly what goes into our food? And where it is sourced?

Right now if an ingredient is less than 25% of the whole, they do not have to disclose it on the label even things like '100% orange juice' can contain things like lactose (both a sweetener and a preservative).

If meet is halal they _don't_ have to tell you it is either!

Also, anyone else think they should _stop_ labelling things as items that they clearly no longer are? And call them a derivative instead? Commercial milk nowadays for example, is nothing more than a watery lactose drink:

Argh! It angers me so much - they don't give a damn about us, the 'workers', yet they eat natural home produced themselves! Even organic isn't 'safe' - as it can still go through processes that alter the make-up of the food.

Is it greed? Lack of respect? What? What makes them think it's ok to feed us this 'poison'?

Ok rant over - but seriously, doesn't it bother anyone else? I feel sorry for children the most - being brought up on all this crap. If I had kids I'd be a million times angrier!
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Yes it bothers me too, I wrote to Tesco, Asda and marks & Spencer complaining about the food labelling not clearly stating that their meat was halal I complained about them selling products that were cruel and said that we have a right to know so that we can choose to go elsewhere or choose other products ect,

As for the rubbish in our food don't get me started, cancer causing chemicals my most hated ingredient these days is Aspartame it so hard to find a cold drink without this poison in.

My rant over all I can say is any petitions going I sign them and send letters regularly to big supermarket chains lol.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Just a question but how is halal food any more cruel?
ATD x
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 12:47 AM
It angers me too

To be honest, I'm tired of food, I still have to feed my family though........

Asda are going to be clearly labelling their food from April, can't wait to see it x
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 01:22 AM
I now eat only organic meat and due to the price I eat a lot less meat! Other than that I don't really think about it tbh, business people will always tell the absolute minimum of the truth - that's how they make money.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Aspartame !

As a diabetic, I see this poison is just everywhere.......

Tesco have started offering an alternative with a new sweetener, which is a start. I think it's Sucralose. It could be just as bad..... I'm afraid to look.
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Just a question but how is halal food any more cruel?
ATD x
Hello I presume you do not know the process the animal goes through to qualify as halal I think you should watch the cruel and murderous way in which the animal is slaughtered compared to the humane way that we use here. The poor animal has its throat slit and is left to die a slow and painful death and can take up to 10 Min to die. Our way the animal is stunned and killed in a instant.

Hope this helps you to understand our anger I refuse to eat murdered meat and am angry with the supermarkets labelling making it hard for me to make an informed choice.

cruelty free meat for me all the way

And if you wish to know more about aspartame follow this link
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 10:14 AM
I agree labelling is appalling. I would also like to know where food comes from so I can avoid buying meat (for example) from countries like Mexico and Eastern Europe, or bacon fron Denmark due to welfare implications.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 12:08 PM
So pretty much like some slaughter houses normal meat comes from then? Chickens are the worst if I remember right from college.
ATD x
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I now eat only organic meat and due to the price I eat a lot less meat! Other than that I don't really think about it tbh, business people will always tell the absolute minimum of the truth - that's how they make money.
I used to too. But thought what's the point when it is not grass fed. Cattle should not eat grains any more than we should - it makes their fat 'bad' fat, fat that would otherwise be good for us.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >