View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Have never had a problem with Elkhounds ears and you don't expect a problem with prick ears, it is usually dogs with heavy ear flaps that have ear problems. However, we did have a GSD that had problems with her ears every year in the spring, when she reached 5 we decided it was daffodils and gave her Piriton and the problem was no more.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Do you use thornit powder just for the treatment of ear mites, or for all inflammation otitis of the ear? Just curious as the websites just specify ear mites.

How do you use it as it is a powder rather than drops?
lilbear
New Member!
Female 

11-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Agree with Inca, Thornit powder is truly amazing. No vet that i've ever been to will recommend it, but acknowledge that it does work!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 01:17 PM
a pinch in the ear and rub it all around the lobe as well

first make sure the ear is clean i use surgical spirit as it dries instantly its used for ear mites and mild infections of coure its not an antibiotic so any serious ear problems should be treated by a vet but most infections are caused by ear mites not being treated in the first place
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Be really careful when cleaning ears as it`s so easy to push wax into the ear and compact it.
I`m surprised your vet hasn`t looked at a swab to determine exactly what`s causing it, as treatment is obviously different for bacteria or yeast...or even grass seeds etc.
The spot-on treatment Stronghold kills ear mites, and the ear drops Surolan will treat yeast infections and some bacteria. Both are only available on prescription so why not ask your vet to test for the cause?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Thornit powder is fantastic...another recommendation from here....we used to have several spaniels coming to the grooming parlour I worked at who had infections....a small pinch in the ears everytime they came in and no more smelly spaniel ears.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2