View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Scooter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Hello (new to Dogweb - see introductions).

I've read this thread with great interest as OH & I are considering buying a crate for our Lab puppy. We've always been against crates and have never used one with our previous dog. However, new pup is a serial chewer (hopefully this is just a stage ) and as we are going on our hols in November we think we need to reconsider our position.

We don't want Forrest to miss out on the wonderful experience of a holiday shared, but can't risk him chewing the cottage to bits - therefore we are considering a crate for `overnighting' him in the cottage - only!!!

We would appreciate views on this as it is not a decision to be taken lightly, but we believe that the value of a good holiday outweighs leaving him behind in kennels - we never put our previous dog in kennels in 15 years of being together, but have strong views (as have been aired above) that crates are not a substitute for good training and responsible ownership.

I thank you for your views.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Both my dogs are crated overnight, with the doors locked. They are also crated whenever I go out. They are used to it and they just sleep. My previous 2 dogs more or less crated themselves when they took over the understairs cupboard as their den. We put a child gate across the doorway and there was never any objections. The current two have purpose built crates, which we do take with us when we holiday in this country. I think it is a matter of personal choice whether to crate or not.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Scooter
Hello (new to Dogweb - see introductions).

I've read this thread with great interest as OH & I are considering buying a crate for our Lab puppy. We've always been against crates and have never used one with our previous dog. However, new pup is a serial chewer (hopefully this is just a stage ) and as we are going on our hols in November we think we need to reconsider our position.

We don't want Forrest to miss out on the wonderful experience of a holiday shared, but can't risk him chewing the cottage to bits - therefore we are considering a crate for `overnighting' him in the cottage - only!!!

We would appreciate views on this as it is not a decision to be taken lightly, but we believe that the value of a good holiday outweighs leaving him behind in kennels - we never put our previous dog in kennels in 15 years of being together, but have strong views (as have been aired above) that crates are not a substitute for good training and responsible ownership.

I thank you for your views.
Hello

You will have read the discussion and the points of view for and against crates.

If you are going to use one to keep your pup safe during your holiday (a sensible idea in my opinion) I would suggest that you start getting him used to it as soon as possible. If you begin now he will be accustomed to it and happy to sleep in it by the time you go.

If you have never used a crate before this Dogsey article may be of help/interest to you: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=15552
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm also a "crater" and have found it invaluable not only from a housetraining point of view, but also to give my elderly Lab breathing space from the pup during the night.
She does have a pen attached so can come and go from the crate if she wishes, but it does mean she sees this space as her den and therefore will not "foul" it. If she was free in the kitchen she wouldn't have this response, making housetraining more difficult.
I also use one now in preparation for showing her as I'd far rather crate her than bench her to prevent idiots feeding her junk food.

I hope from this thread you've learnt that not all "craters" misuse the crate and use it as a prison. As someone has already said, the tool isn't the problem it's the people using it.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 11:41 AM
Love crates, the dogs love their crates I am all for them if used correctly.

Mo
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Love them, it was because of them that they helped speed up the toilet training of both my dogs when they were young and it stopped them destroying the kitchen at night (the only reason why I got one to begin with) but to leave a dog in there all day and not let it out is a bit cruel.

I was home when they were young so when we went out they were crated as the flattie destroyed the house when I went out and so he was crated and it helped til he grew out of it. But he chewed the house apart when I was out because of my lack of training so he had SA, but he got over it eventually and now can have the run of the house for the day when I'm at work and wont touch anything
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2006, 08:34 PM
All my dogs for about the last 15 years or more have been crated (Ive had a lost of foster dogs and rescues). Every one of them have loved their crates, its the first place they go to if theres a thunderstorm, fireworks, earthquakes (when I was in California). They usually sleep in them with the doors open and have the option of sleeping where they want to (apart from a couple of the foster dogs). Admittedly some of them have taken a bit of time to adjust but its never taken more than about a week before theyve settled in with them.

Like everything else, the use of crates can be abused. (I only use the Vari kennel type not the wire crates, Ive had a few dogs become anxious in them).

Additionally, working in animal hospitals for over 15 years...Ive seen plenty of dogs that have got their collars caught on fencing when left unsupervised in yards (especially puppies) and ended up dead, Ive seen more than enough dogs....mainly puppies, electrocuted through being left in rooms with access to wiring, Ive seen dogs die from ingesting things that they wouldnt have had access to for that hour or two that the owner was at the store had they just been crated, Ive worked and rescued I dont know how many dogs that have been dumped in shelters because they "could not be housetrained and were peeing all over the living room/kitchen/house" or they chewed up or peed on the VCR or DVD player or ate the kids favourite teddy bear.
All can have been solved/avoided had the dogs been crate trained.

Yes....leaving a dog in a crate for prolonged periods is cruel, so is dumping the dog at the shelter through human ignorance, so is spending the first 12 months of the dogs life constantly yelling or punishing the dog for completely avoidable behaviours...because of human ignorance. All you need is a little common sense.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2006, 09:41 AM
I moved Diesel's crate to the kitchen a while ago (which he has never used), he still slept in the room with me, until last night (as he can now jump on bed).

My cats sleep in it, Jess was in it last night but he went straight into it past Jess and laid down, not a peep all night, so maybe it will be staying after all.
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Very interesting thread.

I read all about crates and the pro's/con's before we even decided on what kind of dog we wanted. The information is out there and I have to say that almost every article I have read makes it clear that crates are to be used for short periods of time.
I have a crate for Tigger and he has used it since we first brought him home. He was left to explore the space in his own time and he had the freedom during the day to play in the kitchen and garden. He quite often jumps in during the day, usually to hide with a snail he has sneaked past me!
We have a safety gate on the kitchen doorway until he has been properly trained not to jump onto the furniture, then this will be removed too. (He is much calmer in main parts of the house now, so once we can block off the stairs, he will have even more room.)
In the early evenings, Tigger will usually lie down on his soft bed (not inside his crate) then later goes into the crate as he prefers to sleep in there when it is dark. Only when I go to bed is the door shut. My husband works shifts so arrives home approx 3-4 am so Tigs goes outside then and then again when he wakes in the morning.
He was house-trained within a week of bringing him home, which I attribute partly to him not wishing to soil his sleeping space.

I must say I see a crate as invaluable for a puppy, when Tigger is older I can see us not needing it at all.

I must also say that I think there are slight differences in peoples motives for having dogs. Some people simply 'have' dogs and others include their dogs as part of the family, who deserve respect, consideration and love.
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Hi all. I think crate training can be one of the best moves for any dog. i have used one for my last 3 dogs. I started by placeing their beds inside and it doesnt take long for them to go in on their own. Once this happens and your dog is happy you can use the crate any time. My dogs slept in there all night, when they are in the car or caravan and i know they are safe. ( and so is my property)
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >