View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Malka, I am so sorry to be reading this about Pereg She has been so 'good' for so long now, isn't it strange that she suddenly had another seizure - I assume one never knows what triggers these?

Calming {{{vibes}}} to Pereg and {{{coping}}} vibes and hugs to you. I also hope you managed a few hours sleep.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 07:36 AM
I've been dreading reading such a post from you Malka (and hoping I wouldn't!). It's so frustrating not knowing what has suddenly triggered this after such a long time. Hugs to you both and I hope this was a one off!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Oh I'm so sorry to read this Malka. I don't know what to say. Will she be seeing a vet? I'm thinking maybe they will try other medication or a change of dosage?

I don't know anything about canine epilepsy. But do have a good friend who suffers with epilepsy. She is a nurse in Intensive Care in Torquay Hospital. She'd gone over two years and more without a bad episode and just got her driving licence back when her started up again with a bang. Lost her licence again and had to cut back working hours and cut out shifts.

She has had her medication changed many times to cope. Has had to give up the hands on nursing and stick with admin. And is now seriously considering the brain surgery option.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Oh well, after nearly 18 months the Monster struck again. I just hope it was a one off.

She actually came out of the GM quite well - just lay there on the bed for a few minutes while I got some baby wipes to clean her mouth and face, then hopped off the bed and was fully "with it" - just wandering around though, "smiling" and wagging her tail, coming up for cuddles, etc. No ataxia, none of the previous blindness/deafness/crashing into walls and things, but then she started the pacing, whining, grabbing at my arm, barking - the usual gimmee gimmee gimmee food that was always typical of her post-ictal behaviour.

In the end, after a frozen chicken wing then a frozen whole chicken back, then a large kohlrabi,and then another calming pill she got on the couch and zonked, so I think about 5am or later I said OK Pereg, bed NOW. Somehow I woke to give her her 7am Pb but no doubt in my sleep but I do remember checking the clock, and managed to get a few hours sleep.

But in the bad post-ictal period it was want out, came in, want out, came in, and when in and the door closed she was trying to tear through it to get out. And of course I had to go out with her to make sure she was OK. Not really cold but I had to go out on my crutches and that is not good as I am far too unstable to be on my feet and on crutches for more than a minute or two.

Absolutely no trigger but then there never was. Pereg is epileptic, even though she went almost 18 months seizure free, Pereg was and still is epileptic.

Oh well - so now the count starts again.

Booger.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 07:51 AM
I am so sorry to be reading this Malka, I can imagine how gutted you must have felt, she had gone so long.
Hopefully though this will just be a one off blip and although you have got to start counting again, lets hope this time you count even higher.
(((hugs))) to you both.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 08:00 AM
I'm glad she recovered from it well. Interesting to read she eats Kohlrabi? Raw? Freely available here and am thinking it would make a good occasional 'toy' for Bella if it is harmless even if she doesn't want to eat it.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Oh Malka so sorry to hear of your traumatic night. I do hope both you and Pereg have managed to get some sleep and that as everyone else has said that this is a one off. No telling why after so long she should have a grand mal. Do you know what triggered them in the past. If you have any idea then maybe you can avoid whatever it was in future but if you have no idea then it is hard on you not knowing if this is going to happen again. Do take care of yourself as you will need to be strong for Pereg. God bless, Moyra xxx
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2013, 08:48 AM
I am so sorry to read Pereg has had a seizure after so long, you must be so worried about her. We can only pray that this was a one off, I am thinking of you and hoping for a restful day for you both. Love and hugs x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
I've been dreading reading such a post from you Malka (and hoping I wouldn't!). It's so frustrating not knowing what has suddenly triggered this after such a long time. Hugs to you both and I hope this was a one off!
You and I [and all epi owners] know that this is liable to happen. And I guess that one year and 177 days when her previous longest streak was just 7 weeks and 2 days was wonderful. But she had another GM and it took most of the night to get her settled enough to go back to bed, and now I am terrified that we have gone back to square one.

I spoke with Ram, my Vet, about half an hour or so again, and he said not to worry - well he would, would he not? Just now got to see how she goes because neither he nor me want to add even Kbr. In fact we will not. Her Pb levels so far show that we can increase that it necessary, and she is due for a full blood work-up on 18 April.

Now? She is back to the normal non-epi Pereg, but then she was the normal non-epi Pereg yesterday until 2am this morning.

Why oh why oh why.

I coped during the night. I now cannot stop crying for my beloved girl.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Malka I am so very sorry to be reading this, I have been hoping that the seizure free streak would last for ever for the sake of both of you.
I really hope it was a blip and you get another even longer streak of her being seiz free
Lots and lots of hugs ((((((xxxxx))))))
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »