Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2007, 11:46 AM

Im really really sad........

I hate to say it but our rescue Tim, (who we picked up last weekend) is going back to rescue, things are not working out, He cannot be left on his own without getting very very distressed to the point where he is making himself vomit from crying so much. He has upset Greg by being very dominant,and wee'ing on Gregs head .
I just want the best for both dogs, Tim needs a home where people don't all work full-time. Its heartbreaking to leave him when I go to work, but I have to pay the mortgage some how.
I really hope you dont all think im a bad person because I took him on with the best intentions, I never realised he'd have such a problem being on his own
spot
Dogsey Veteran

10-02-2007, 12:29 PM
You've had him a week? What did you try to get him over his sep anxiety? How long was he being left for and was it as soon as you got him home or did you try some sort of routine to get him used to his new surroundings break him in gently so to speak?

Very sad all round
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Of course you're not a bad person. You have to do whats best for all involved and clearly Tim cannot cope with the situation you have. It certainly isnt fair on your established dog either.
Don't think of it as a failure but think of it as realising Tim's issues and he can now go to a home where he can get the help he needs. We all have rent and mortgages to pay so fo course you have to work.
Don't blame yourself, sometimes things just don't work out.
Becky
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Oh what a shame, please don't feel bad - you are doing what is right all round.
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
You've had him a week? What did you try to get him over his sep anxiety? How long was he being left for and was it as soon as you got him home or did you try some sort of routine to get him used to his new surroundings break him in gently so to speak?

Very sad all round
Yes we got him on Sat, I went back to work on Tues,I did lots of short bursts of leaving him. Neighbours have complained to environmental health because he is so noisy, Theres more too it than just the separation, He is 9 months old and had no training at all, he needs someone with more time to train him, its not like when I trained Greg as an eager little puppy, he need intensive training. I feel I am doing the right thing for this wonderful dog, we are not the right home for him. if I didnt have to work things would be completely different.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 01:17 PM
You are doing the right thing. I had the same when I took on a rescue dog, not so much separation issues but he wouldn't stop humping my dog Winston and it was starting to turn nasty.
Becky
spot
Dogsey Veteran

10-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
You are doing the right thing. I had the same when I took on a rescue dog, not so much separation issues but he wouldn't stop humping my dog Winston and it was starting to turn nasty.
Becky

Any dog can turn into a humper not just rescue dogs, please lets not turn this into a rescue dog slating. Some have problems some dont, some certainly have problems that cannot be overcome in a few days but can over time with patience and care.

Adele Im sure theres a rescue dog that perfect just waiting for you to come along please dont give up on those needing homes.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm not slating rescue dogs at all. I was just saying what happened to me. Stop reading things that aren't there. Not all dogs will get on together.
Becky
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2007, 01:32 PM
I dont think you're a bad person, also try and take some plus points from this, The rescue center will now no that tim has seperation anxiety and can now try and deal with and find a home where someone is able to be at home with tim
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi Adele,
Your doing the right thing,at least you have realised your not the right home and his issue's need addressing.

Some times it just doesn't work out,stafford rescue are reluctant to rehome a stafford where there are already staffords or other dogs in the prospective home.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >