Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Early neutering and growth...

Okay I don't want to sound vulgar or gross, but I really don't know how to put this without doing so...

Nigredo is a male dog. The shelter I got him from neutered him before I got him. He was completely healed from it when I got him at 3 months, so who knows when they did it? Strange really... oh, well, digressing.

Anyway, people always think he's female when we are out and about. I'm constantly correcting people and telling them that he is male. I always get "she is pretty" and "what is her name" and SHE, SHE, SHE.

He is 13 months and his *ahem* still hugs up to his tummy and honestly... you can't see it like normal males and he does look female at first (and second) glance.

I know that he will not mature properly because of the lack of hormones... but will there come a time when it's moderately easy to tell he's male at first glance?

It's not that big of a deal... just wondering.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2014, 12:48 PM
I'd say a lot of it is habit with people calling him a "she" and maybe not so much going by his Assets!!
Seriously,how often do you actually look to see if a dog is male or female?i know I don't..tend to just go by the look of them..have got it wrong on occasion
Been looking at pics of your guy and defo don't think he looks like a girl Still think its habit mostly though
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Most people here immediately refer to dogs as "he" so I think that it's not like that. Perhaps it's his tail... or that he looks "pretty" instead of "handsome". Oh, well!

Also, I try to look so I can be accurate instead of random, but perhaps I am just weird!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2014, 01:18 PM
It depends on whether his head broadens & widens(a lot of bull breed's heads don't fully develop until they are 3 or 4)he's only a youngster as yet so there is plenty of time. I know my Bcs's heads aren't fully mature until they are 3 or 4
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-01-2014, 01:20 PM
I think some dogs do look more feminine entire or not. Ollie he was neutered at 6 months no mistaking he was male facially Dillon neutered 17 months same as my Aussie mix and again facially no doubting they were very male looking.
Bernese you can really tell the difference between male and female but some breeds its not so easy without getting up close and personal.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
It depends on whether his head broadens & widens(a lot of bull breed's heads don't fully develop until they are 3 or 4)he's only a youngster as yet so there is plenty of time. I know my Bcs's heads aren't fully mature until they are 3 or 4
He's a mutt, and he's certainly NOT a bull breed. I'm really not sure what he is mixed with, so his head might be naturally slim because of his breeds?

He's retriever mixed... either flat coated, curly coated, or labrador, that's all I really know (and barely that). Thanks for the reply... I guess time will tell.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I think some dogs do look more feminine entire or not. Ollie he was neutered at 6 months no mistaking he was male facially Dillon neutered 17 months same as my Aussie mix and again facially no doubting they were very male looking.
Bernese you can really tell the difference between male and female but some breeds its not so easy without getting up close and personal.
He's not a "breed" he's a "mutt". Ah... idk. It's all so friggin confusing!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm with Eileen on this one, I always call another dog *she* which is probably because I've always had bitches, and then I wait for them to correct me. When meeting up with somebody the last thing I do is check out his credentials, and how the heck is somebody supposed to differentiate purely by sight as to whether a dog is male or female without looking underneath If my life depended upon it, I would surely get it wrong, there's no way I could tell the gender of a dog without either of the above, whereas in the human species I don't often have a problem
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2014, 02:01 PM
I usually take a quick glance (no bending or weirdness of course) and if I don't see male parts, I assume female... I have been wrong a few times, and if I can't really tell, I usually ask!

I guess it just kind of annoys me to be wrong about a dogs gender! Either way, it's not a big deal. I wish I could tell by their faces like Lynn said... but I can't!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-01-2014, 02:20 PM
I know he is a mutt Myra but some dogs do just look more girl like than others whether pedigree or cross or mutt.
As said his head may broaden with age and the he may look more masculine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >