Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 07:54 PM

Help Please, What Bird is This ?

I took this whilst on my Hols from a window in the house, looking up into the mountains behind. I saw a big bird fly by but could'nt make out what it was, (it went by fast), I grabbed the camera and took this pic. It looks large to me, if you look closely at the right hand side, you can see a sheep a bit of a distance away. Not sure if that helps.

Thanks.

werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 07:55 PM
ps if u look closely at the top left of the pic, in the mountains the dark 'thing' is the bird
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 07:58 PM
my guess would be a buzzard, though it could be a red kite or depending where you were, I guess an eagle is a possibility.

We have loads of buzzards round our way. Where abouts were you?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
my guess would be a buzzard, though it could be a red kite or depending where you were, I guess an eagle is a possibility.

We have loads of buzzards round our way. Where abouts were you?
Hi Hali

I was on the Isle of Mull, yeah there were loads of Buzzards, we even had them land in the trees in our garden a couple of times. We did see a Golden Eagle a few days before (do doubt about what he was, pics on diff thread), this bird was seen through the window, was at quite a distance away so I just couldn't tell if it was a Buzzard or Eagle, but thought it may be a bit too big to be a Buzzard.....
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:17 PM
I would have thought buzzard or eagle x
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I would have thought buzzard or eagle x
I think it is either one, I so thought is was an Eagle when I first saw him but then the doubts crept in......so I can only say I saw the eagle once on this trip for certain, as I guess I will never know for sure from this pic
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Well it is difficult to tell its actual size in the photo (I've looked at your pic a couple of times, first time I saw the bird no problem, second time I thought you'd airbrushed it out to start with as I couldn't find it again ), but Buzzards can be quite a size - about 5ft wing span I think.

the one thing that doesn't sound right though is that you said it was flying fast - I've rarely seen them fly fast - mostly they're riding the thermals to gain height then just seem to glide around.

Did you hear it calling at all? Buzzards do have a very distinctive sort of call - a sort of meow, well less of the 'ow' bit at the end.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:30 PM
the only other pic of this bird I have, by the time I got down the stairs and out it had gone

werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Well it is difficult to tell its actual size in the photo (I've looked at your pic a couple of times, first time I saw the bird no problem, second time I thought you'd airbrushed it out to start with as I couldn't find it again ), but Buzzards can be quite a size - about 5ft wing span I think.

the one thing that doesn't sound right though is that you said it was flying fast - I've rarely seen them fly fast - mostly they're riding the thermals to gain height then just seem to glide around.

Did you hear it calling at all? Buzzards do have a very distinctive sort of call - a sort of meow, well less of the 'ow' bit at the end.
I know, I am being pretty useless in my descriptions. I was looking out the window (as I do there, scenery is fab and the odd bird flys past!) and I saw this bird, whom I think was hunting, it all seemed to happen so fast, I grabbed camera, got the two pics, lost sight of the bird, ran down the stairs and into garden and he had gone pics were taken with a 200mm lens and the mountain is quite high. I think it shall remain a mystery as to whether he is a Buzzard or an Eagle. Thanks for your input and yours Shona xx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:51 PM
This is a normal, (not zoomed in), view from the same window.