Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Dibley
Mainly because if they are not working dogs it is not in the best interests of the dog. Though this is only my personal opinion
Fair enough! I'll allow you your opinion just this once!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Awww loveley dogs Mini I'm afraid I perfer tail as God intended nothing at all wrong with it but i'm biased

Both dogs I must add are gorgeous
I think I am correct in saying that terriers tails were originally docked to protect them from injury when ratting likewise the Schnauzer also a ratter.I was told by my Grampa that years ago the old miners used to bite the terrier puppies tail when docking rather than cutting them , then they put a cobweb on to prevent any bleeding..
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
I think I am correct in saying that terriers tails were originally docked to protect them from injury when ratting likewise the Schnauzer also a ratter.Yeras ago in my grampas day the old miners used to bite the terrier puppies tails off rather than cutting them then put a cobweb on to prevent any bleeding..
:smt078

Reminds me of I'm a celebrity and the kangaroos how de doo de!

Seriously though if the dog was to be used for a working purpose and the tail was more prone to injury then fair enough, if not then I can't understand it.

Well, I can but don't agree!
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-12-2005, 11:38 PM
You see now that Mini I can understand! It's just the fact that the terriers and all other docked breeds that are no longer doing the jobs they were bred too are still having tails docked.

Now if they were born without a tail or their tail was naturally docked (bit off by mum etc) I could get my head around it. Maybe my views have been blinkered with age
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

04-12-2005, 11:39 PM
I was told by my Grampa that years ago the old miners used to bite the terrier puppies tail when docking rather than cutting them , then they put a cobweb on to prevent any bleeding..
That was common practice. My great uncle used to dock the terriers' tails with his teeth & cobwebs!!
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Girls you are showing your age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *running for cover*
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Oh dear you've crossed the line now I hope you realise?
Meg
Supervisor

04-12-2005, 11:46 PM
You see now that Mini I can understand! It's just the fact that the terriers and all other docked breeds that are no longer doing the jobs they were bred too are still having tails docked.

Now if they were born without a tail or their tail was naturally docked (bit off by mum etc) I could get my head around it. Maybe my views have been blinkered with age
But they are some of our Cockers went with the shoot .. many terriers still catch rats.
A neighbour borrowed my previous mini to catch a rat in their garage and Amy could catch rats if required so to do until recently. I don't like my dogs catching rats I am scared they get bitten or disease but it is preferable to putting poison down for one rat.

When you have a litter of puppies in a breed that is docked you don't always know when it comes to docking if the puppies are going to be worked or not..with our Cockers some went to show/pets other to work, you can't wait to see how they grow up before deciding to dock or not.
Meg
Supervisor

05-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
:smt078

Reminds me of I'm a celebrity and the kangaroos how de doo de!

Seriously though if the dog was to be used for a working purpose and the tail was more prone to injury then fair enough, if not then I can't understand it.

Well, I can but don't agree!
I didn't say they ate them as well RS :smt078
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2005, 12:16 AM
I didn't say they ate them as well RS :smt078

What would be worse though Mini? A kangaroos doo dah or a dogs tail, I know which I'd go for and I'd know where it'd been too.

And no I'm not talking about the kangaroo thanks!
Page 11 of 33 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »