Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 11:14 PM

Guide dog school report says...

Easily Distracted...

Met a gorgeous friendly standard poodle Guide dog today. She was so sweet and nosy...thankfully she was in relaxed mode or off duty...not sure of the proper term..I did ask before petting her and she was nosing and smelling every millimetre of my hands...what a darling though, really sweet natured.

Was speaking to her owner who is almost completely blind and he said she is quite young and really good but easily distracted when she's 'off' which sounded really funny...immediately put me in mind of a school report.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Oh she sounds lovely! Unusual to have a Standard Poodle as a guide dog I would have thought? I wonder if the owner was asthmatic? Wouldn't have thought they would be popular with every guide dog owner as high price of grooming as I think they have to be trimmed every 6 weeks.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Oh she sounds lovely! Unusual to have a Standard Poodle as a guide dog I would have thought? I wonder if the owner was asthmatic? Wouldn't have thought they would be popular with every guide dog owner as high price of grooming as I think they have to be trimmed every 6 weeks.
Could well have been why. I was surprised to see a poodle as a guide dog too. She had just been groomed cause I could smell the stuff Jacqui (she's the local dog groomer and my friend) uses on the dogs
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 09:09 AM
THere are MANY breeds and x breeds of dogs that are GUide Dogs, you might be surprised!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
THere are MANY breeds and x breeds of dogs that are GUide Dogs, you might be surprised!
Yeah the obvious is the lab, or the GSD, I had heard of poodles being used but hadn't seen one. Collies perhaps, but not heard of others.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Golden Retreiver,..........
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 05:29 PM
the most common GD is a Lab X Golden Retriever, people just assume they are pure Labs as they do look similar.
They use all sorts of crosses...
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I knew someone years ago who had a Boxer as a guide dog. I've also met a Neo Mastiff assistance dog which really surprised me. And the other day I ran into a Peke with a Hearing Dogs vest on. Didn't get to meet that one though.

I like to see different breeds used for jobs like that to be honest.