Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Sorry I must have missed the Obsessive bit.

It seems to me encountering aversives is what puppies "do" and learn from, far more than their adult counterparts. Their adult counterparts have learnt from such experinces hopefully!

I think puppies pretty much take aversives, (fireworks, their first fall in water, their first knocking over of an object, the first time they encounter a non puppy tolerant adult dog or human, the first time they try to suckle and their mum says no, the first time they try to play with their mates and they say no, etc etc,) in their stride, from what I have seen. Puppies experience far more aversives than adults who have learnt to avoid such things. In my experince.

Personally, I don't think that AGE at which a method is applied is that important, more so its suitability at getting the desired result in the kindest, fastest way which offords the dog the best possible life.

I feel that I might appear objectionable as I appear to have a lot of views today , but I find this thread and all the views of its contributors fascinating. Apologies f anyone gets peeved, not my intention at all.

Hugs Dx

true ,but at 6 months of age how can the op honestly say that the methods previously applied have been tried for long enough or consistently enough?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
My dogs have never done it and they are fed a cheap diet, working dog stuff.

But owned after puppyhood.

The clients dogs I met that do it are either like Tangocharlies dog (puppish that hasn't grown out of it)

Or older dogs that have done it for years but have been on loads of different diets for it.

Rune I don't see the diff between an e collar for what you describe and the spray collar, except that the e collar is more adjustable so the dog won't be as bothered by it.

Adam
I didn't expect you to.

rune
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-10-2010, 01:41 PM
If it will ruin this thread I suggest if rune wants to we can discuss it on another thread.

Dog is eight months, so probably been trying for 6 months, tbh I think thats long enough.

Adam
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Whats wrong with a muzzle for times it can't be managed in any other way?

I did borrow a vibrating collar from the owner of a deaf dog with the intention of using it for this problem but didn't in the end use it. The dog knew the leave command and I wanted a way of making it think a human was around and could monitor him.

I think the behaviour is so self rewarding that the aversive will have to be VERY high to prevent it reccurring and that is where the danger lies.

AP---no point in discussing anything with a disciple of good old unc Lou. I have gone round in circles enough times and know that you have no empathy with the dogs you deal with and TBH anyone whose first thought is 'how can I punish the dog for this behaviour' isn't worth talking to.

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
It definately seems like OP has decided on the collar and isn't willing to budge, and I don't see the point of this thread if OP just wants justification for her decision. At the end of the day it's OP's decision and no one needs to justify themselves to members on here but it seems pointless to start a thread and then ignore the replies you don't like.
wise words. I`m outa here.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-10-2010, 02:25 PM
OP here!
Just to clear up some assumptions...

No decisions have been made whether to use a citronella collar or not. Apparently according to some, I have made my mind up on my first post.

My puppy is 8 months old and is of a solid disposition, not at all nervous.

If people are frustrated by my 'lack of effort', they have no idea.

He had been on three different brands of food. And each time the new food was slowly introduced.

The 'leave' command and games are all very well when I am around but in the real world I can not be watching him all the time. Life gets in the way.

I have another dog.

It is not safe to muzzle a dog overnight, in a crate or whilst at the kennels.

If I had to use a citronella collar it would be for this type of behaviour where it is one dog, one behaviour and usually occurs away from the handler. I certainly wouldn't use one for Dog/Dog aggression where the aversive connotation could be perceived to be the other dog. Also the other dog (stooge) is often mistakenly punished by the fumes of the citronella.

It is an interesting debate.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Is your dog still pooping in its crate overnight? If so, I would address that issue (take the dog out more, figure out a different feeding schedule or something) so that he's safe to leave overnight in the crate.

At 8 months, the puppies I've known have been able to make it through the night without a problem for the most part.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 02:33 PM
It isn't safe to use the collar in the crate, in the kennels or overnight either.

You could end up with a very screwed up dog.

I have read your list of qualifications and I am even more amazed that you considered using the collar for this.

Does it happen in the crate?? At 8mths I would want to look objectively at the whole lifestyle and relationships if that is so.

rune
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Is your dog still pooping in its crate overnight? If so, I would address that issue (take the dog out more, figure out a different feeding schedule or something) so that he's safe to leave overnight in the crate.

At 8 months, the puppies I've known have been able to make it through the night without a problem for the most part.
For the most part he is fine. Occasionally he has an accident. he gets an upset stomach How? Probably by eating faeces.
Back to square one.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by JazzMan View Post
I researched this subject pretty extensively when my dog used to do it and although he still does it on occasion, I now know exactly why.

There is no doubt that this quickly becomes a self reinforcing, learned behaviour, but there are two distinct causes that get the ball rolling in the first place. The first one is behavioural and occurs when a pup gets regularly chastised for making a mess, pup then learns to 'hide the evidence' as it were. Cure and prevention for this behaviour is obvious so I won't go into it. The second cause is always, beyond any shadow of a doubt, diet.

If the diet lacks a particular element, be it a mineral, a protein or even sufficient quantity, then the dog will actively seek out food sources that could possibly contain that missing element. And by food sources, I mean poo. If the dog can't get what he needs from his own poo, then he will try and get it from other animals. And so the cycle begins and in no time at all, you have a learned behaviour.

I know, for an absolute fact, that if I give my dog a certain type of food that he will be eating his poo the very next day. I know that if I give him that same food for a couple of days, he will be after everyone else's poo too.

After reading through the entire thread I think that although it has been mentioned several times, the possibility of the dogs diet having an influence on this behaviour has been largely dismissed, when in fact it should be the primary focus. Even more so if the dog is already on steroids, which will obviously have an effect on his appetite/digestion and should have been taken into account by the vet who prescribed them.

Yes, you can treat the symptoms and yes you could do that with a spray collar (ethics aside, different discussion) but, even if the treatment is successful, if you do not address the original cause, there is nothing to stop the behaviour re-occurring in the future. Like someone has already said, they used this method for a year and even then only with limited success, probably because they did not address the cause in the first place. I agree wholeheartedly that once every conceivable positive method has been tried that sometimes all we are left with are the less desirable options and while they are not ideal, I could sympathise with someone feeling they had to resort to such extremes when there was no other choice left. But I do not believe that that is the case in this particular instance. Until there has been a proper examination and period of testing/experimentation on the dogs diet, then not every option or resource has been explored.

Without an awful lot more information it is difficult to pin point the precise cause but if the dog came to me with behaviour as you describe, I would put him on chicken and rice (and a lot of rice, until he didn't want to eat any more, to address the hunger caused by the medication) and then use a combination of a muzzle and positive training to break the habit of eating. What exactly does the dog eat? How long has he eaten it for? What other foods has he eaten? How much/how often is he fed? Is he under/overweight? Why has he been prescribed such a powerful course of medication at such a young age?
Very sensible post.

As far as I'm aware, there's no research on links with coprophagia & diet & clearly there's a learned & self-rewarding element, but at the very least dietary causes should be explored (as Krlyr said several times too).

I only have anecdotal evidence that diet is involved but from the dogs I know that started to eat poo later in life (not learned as a puppy) there were dietary/digestion causes in all cases. Two dogs were on medication (one on steroids) & three dogs were on fairly restricted diets for weight loss. In all 5 cases, the dogs started to eat other dogs poo but not their own. In 3 of these cases, the one on steroids stopped shortly after the steroids stopped & 2 of the dogs on restricted diets greatly reduced poo eating when they were given a more varied diet & restrictions were eased. The other 2 dogs, I don't know about as I don't see them anymore.

But I think whoever said that the more they do it, the more they are likely to, also has a point, which is why prevention & avoidance are important too.

On the use of aversives to prevent animals eating certain things, the only research I know is that done on rats & observations of wild animals. And, as far as I know, it's the only strong learning as a result of aversives, when the "punishment" is not administered immediately. Animals that eat things that make them very sick (so obviously not an immediate punishment), will very quickly learn not to eat that same thing again. This is an inborn survival strategy to prevent them eating poisonous substances ~ so if they don't die, they're just really ill. Possibly the act of vomiting provides the learning as to what made them sick in the first place?

It was this thought that made me suggest that tabasco might work with coprophagia ~ a strong taste aversive, but given immediately & no link to people. But I'm not for one minute suggesting that anyone tries to "cure" coprophagia by dosing the poo with poison.
Page 10 of 16 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »