View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2005, 01:42 PM
After writing my previous post I saw the one saying you work 9-5. If that is the case then you will not be able to supervise the interaction between the dogs. You would maybe need to take a bit of time off work to settle the puppy in .

Sian
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Your dogs are adorable!!!!!! i have no experience at this so excuse me if i sound dumb but would a baby gate suffice to keep them separate one upstairs one downstairs?
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks Staffiemad and Doggymad!!! The mad pair!

I agree that a male pup would be most sensible. You'd want to think about neutering one of them(easier on the boy than the girl) so that you don't have problems when the girl has seasons. You'd be surprised how it affects even a young dogs temperament to be around an in season bitch.
Sian
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2005, 01:47 PM
would a baby gate suffice to keep them separate one upstairs one downstairs?

To be honest, I don't think so.A stafford could easily get over a gate, I know I've seen it on more than one occasion!!
If you crate train the pup from day one then that would make it much simpler.
Sian
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 01:51 PM
im gonna sound really thick now but whats crate training? is those big things like a cage? have always had dogs on sofa and bed would it not be a bit tight to leave a pup in a cage and have china walking around and on the sofa? would that create any jealousy? so confused....why cant theey just get along
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 01:57 PM
i agree with the idea that u should introduce a male pup. I also suggest that you wait til your current pup is at least a yr old, firstly, its nice to get a good strong bond with each dog b4 introducing a new one, and also, someone needs to be at home most of the day if u are bringing a puppy into the house
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 02:00 PM
I'd wait until your first one is at least 18 months old before getting another dog whatever breed. And get a puppy easier to intorduce to a Staff (unlesss they have lived in harmony with other dogs before)

Karen
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 02:11 PM
china is between 2-3yrs old...but a male pup, i dont know...its the whole belly stroking thing that puts me off....also just thinking why do boxers have their tails docked and ears trimmed?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 03:28 PM
HI

I dont think you should get a pup until your current dog is older, also i think when you do you would be better getting a male rather than another female. However as above, you cant leave them without supervision and a baby gate just wont do it - staffies - i suppose like any dog - if determined enough could get through an electric fence !!! Bruno can jump our garden gate ( 5ft high) if given enough incentive so would suggest you let your current baby get more settled and older before you think about another dog and then take some time off work and settle in a pup this way.

I also would love another dog, but with bruno's aggression the only thing he could probably put up with would be a puppy - but I am too nervous to take the chance just in case !!

Dani
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 03:49 PM
weve been told she cant be bred as she has a dust allergy...(cost a fortune for the dyson! at least the house is clean!!!) but would she be better having her own and us keeping one or two?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >