Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 11:12 AM

Walking multiple dogs

Up to now normally I take my dogs out two by two, but today I though what the heck they normally walk great in two's so why not try them all together, well I did and it was intresting to say the least, they just couldnt get their formation right, they were swapping and changing to walk next to different dogs, the walk which normally takes approx 1/2 hour too nearly and hour, with me having to stop and sort my leads out, and because I couldnt find the halti for one of them she started pulling like mad, trying to get in front of the others(she's gonna be a good lead dog ) my arms are killing me, but on the return part of the journey they settled in and walked pretty much OK, so a few more practices and we should have it down to pat.(hopefully)

MO
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 11:18 AM
I end up pulled in all directions
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 11:21 AM
I walk my three together..the staffies have a split lead, so I hold them in one hand and mollie in the other..They are only on leads till I get to the fields then I let them off..Don't think I could walk four....
Cazzh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2005, 12:01 PM
I have, on occasions, walked all six together. As I prefer to use headcollars on my dogs anyway, this is not a problem, apart from the fact that the council just does not make pavements wide enough, lol!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I had head collars on 3 of them they were pretty good its the one that didnt have the head collar on that cause the most problems, next time they will ALL have them on hopefully it will be a LOT better.

Mo
Cazzh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by mo
I had head collars on 3 of them they were pretty good its the one that didnt have the head collar on that cause the most problems, next time they will ALL have them on hopefully it will be a LOT better.

Mo

Yep. When you walk more than one dog, you effectively become part of a pack so one or two will always try pushing their luck. It is a great feeling though, to walk along as part of a pack. Do wish I could run like they do though! Imagine being a dog, all those smells which tell you such stories and the ability to bounce around and play without feeling a fool! <g>
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Wow!!!

When I dogsit Bella, I always take them both out. I dont have the time to walk them separate.

I use a Halti on Bella as she pulls like mad.

I have Luna on the left and Bella on the right. Its easier that way.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 01:01 PM
if bf is here and comes with me, we take all three out, with me holding sash and scruffy and him holding indie.
if im on my own i walk indie and sash together, they both walk right next to me, or indie slightly infront. Then i come back and walk scruffy seperate, mainly cos he enjoys himself more when hes by himself as he doesnt have to worry about 2 dogs pouncingon him.lol.
i did try walk all three yesterday, but they kept gettin tangled up, then indie started pulling, and scruffy was draggin behind and then sash got tangled up in my legs,lol.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 01:35 PM
i always walk 2 then 2 .it's much more enjoyable than all 4 together.......one of mine trots quite fast and 2 are ground sniffers (typical spaniels ) ..the other just plods so it's quite hard work ....lol so the ground sniffers go together and the fast and slow as a twin lead means the slow has to go faster LOL
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 03:47 PM
I couldnt imagine walking 4, as the leads get twisted around each other as they keep changing directions but since it was your first time the dogs would not of been use to it im sure they will soon get use to it! And it would save you going out twice!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >