Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 07:16 PM

Multiple dogs - alone or together

If you have more than 1 dog do you walk them seperately or together?
I "walk" my two mostly apart - no reason other than I think this way they get 1 - 1 attention from me with no competition (although they are great together) but they are so different in their characters they "do" different things.
Sal is "toys - toys - toys" and chases her ball until the cows come home. She is also a runner she goes right out when off lead yet watches me constantly yet of her own free will she is always checking out a new smell miles away from me. Yet she is "obsessed" with me to even ignoring everyone else.

Tess (the one I considered a loonatic at first - proves how wrong you can be) she stays with me all the while even to the extent I turn to look for her and almost fall over her, she does sniff about but to her I am where she wants to be . She is more a family dog thAn a one person dog (at least so far) But she is uninterested in balls/toys/sticks and would no more run after the ball thean fly to the moon. Therefore she has more road walking - as she won't run about chasing balls.

So what do you do - I am lucky in the fact I have the time well make the time to walk them - yet the excercise I get is doing me no harm.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2005, 07:19 PM
I walk my two together, as they get far more exercise play fighting, and wrestling than they would if walked them seperately.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 07:20 PM
I agree they run round more togther but I like the 1 to 1 I have with them, and am loathe to loose it.

Karen
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Walk my two together aswell. They generally ignore each other, Pickles never has had very good doggy social skills! They both have their own characters, Pic keeps his eye on me whilst doing his own thing and Woody sticks to me like glue after the first ten minutes unless he sees another dog and then he's off like a shot!!! Think I'll always have at least 2 dogs and will always walk them together (as adults anyway!) until Woody gets too old to walk out anymore! Don't see the point of walking seperately cos they're both such different characters and both get my attention when they want it!
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 07:29 PM
I walk my three together..they all do different things on their walk..one play's with tree branches, another follows scents, and the little one sticks by me..I do make sure they get some individual attention...
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 07:34 PM
I always walk my two together I do LOTS of hours walking each day and it wouldnt be practical for me to take them seperatley I couldnt give them both equal amounts and wouldnt be able to manage myself there simply wouldnt be enough time, the only time I take one out on their own is when I am biking with Cassy as obviously it is not practical to have two on the bike lol (I can just about cope with one!!). I take my two up the woods and let them have an hour or so free running every day, they are much faster & harder when they are together charging after each other than say if they are on their own as they like competing against each other and it is obvious they have more fun, also they wear themselves out more too lol.

But when they were younger I used to walk them seperatley and that was because Kip had a few bad habits like going for other dogs and pulling on the lead, I wanted to make sure Cassy never took lead and followed her example.....and she didnt. I think it is entirely up to the owner, what works for one & all that.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Age is the major reason they walk seperately I wanted/want to be certain Tess is "reliable" on recall meeting other dogs without Sal as backup/reassurance if you understand, and its worked this single walking will continue until Tess is about 1 then it will more than likely be more practicle to walk both together as they can keep up with each other and be reliable together.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 07:50 PM
i walk all mine separate as i can,t manage 4 together
but hubby walks them all together

i mainly walk harley in the morning and the collies in the afternoon
amber only likes a plod around the garden now as she is getting too old for all the running about the others do
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

29-03-2005, 07:53 PM
I walk mines together but I try and get out at least once a day with them seperatly for training - its impossible to train them together
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Used to have 3 I walked together now down to two and it seems a bit odd might have to increase the family again to make it feel right again !
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >