Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Daisychain
New Member!
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:26 PM

15 year old with Pyometra

My Cass's (Heinz 57) troubles started Nov/Dec time with what I thought was a haywire season. She started and stopped about 3 times over a few weeks, thought it was old age and perhaps seasons stopping. I phoned vets and they had me rush her in as sounded like Pyometra and might need urgent surgery. Vet examined her and said she did not have any infection cos she would be able to smell it. Cass had ultrasound scan which showed no infection and small amount of fluid. Blood tests also okay but moderately raised liver enzymes which are normal in old dogs. Vet asked if she showed any signs similar to incontinence which she didn't at that time but about 3 days later her bedding was wet. The recommendation is spaying/hysterectomy between seasons when there is no so much blood around. She drinks 1 1/2 - 2 lts water a day and has done for about 18 months (checks at the start showed no diabetes or metabolic prob). Although her heart is okay my worry is her age and whether this operation might be too big and drag her down for the time she has left. She has just had her first phantom pregnancy but otherwise at the moment she appears well. There is no discharge but I suppose her cervix could have closed. Another vet has said that if I am trying to avoid the op then see how she goes at her next season but if she gets an infection then it would be an emergency op or she goes.
My dilemma is do I risk her having a poorly end if she doesn't recover from the op very well (and this would really cause me a lot of anxiety & mental suffering that I put her through it), or do I carry on as she is and hope she doesn't get an infection and if she does let her go whilst she is still enjoying good quality of life. Has anyone else had this problem with a 15 year old?
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:29 PM
my dads got a 15 year old standard poodle and he had a big lump removed from his back leg they had to go quite deep that was about 6 months ago it took him longer to recover but he was fine, if she is healthy i think i would go for the op if she was mine but everyones decission will be different
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 08:43 PM
That is a real dilemma and obviously it is only you that can make the decision.

If I had a dog in the same position and she was reasonably healthy, I would have all the blood tests required to ensure she could cope with a GA and then go ahead. I would not want to wait and see if she contracted Pyometra which she may not survive.

On the other hand, she may not contract Pyometra - oh goodness, it is a difficult one and I am starting to argue with myself here.

Good luck anyway whatever you decide. Bit hugs to Cass. xx
Daisychain
New Member!
Female 

23-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Thank you for your replies Kirsty & Sue. I have been talking to a neighbour who has suggested asking about antibiotics if she gets an infection or even to prevent one. I will ask the vet about this. Maybe Cass could also have another scan to check on fluid build up.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 09:59 PM
What a horrible dilemna, and I am not sure what I would do in your position to be honest.

On the one hand - Pyometra is a life threatening condition, which could possibly cause a horrible distressing end to your elderly dog's life, and is something which you really want to avoid.

On the other hand, a hysterectomy at 15 is a massive operation and carries risks in itself.

I am going to stick my neck out here, and say that on balance I would opt for no operation and work with the vet via drugs or whatever to try to keep your girl infection-free. I would say to myself that being realistic has to come into the decision, and 15 is a very good age by any standards. If she can be kept happy and as healthy as possible for even a few more months or maybe a lot longer, then that is better than risking major surgery.

Just my thoughts.
Greyhoundlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:33 PM
What a difficult decision for you to make

I'm not sure like you, I would want to put a 15 year old through major surgery , but having seen a girl of mine with this, I was horrified at the speed it can happen. If the vet and you are happy to monitor, go with your instinct.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and do let us know how Cass gets on.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2011, 09:52 AM
I had an old girl with pyo - she was 10. From first symptom to emergency op was 2 days. Hers wasn`t a closed pyo either. I think if it had been she`d have been dead before the diagnosis.
She was fine afterwards and lived 3 more happy years