Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 08:44 PM

Free feeding or certain times?

I feed Louie at certain times but just intrested as to who if any, free feed your dogs?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 11:35 PM
If I free fed mine they would gorge and gorge. I don't feed at certain times either. When I used to do that Willow would do a bile sick each morning as her stomach was anticipating food.

They can get fed anything from once a day to three times a day; though usually once. It could be morning or late evening and anywhere inbetween.

If I'm going out they get a kong stuffed with cheap steak, that's the only predicable bit about their meals generally.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Set feeding times. As adults they are fed at breakfadt and then teatimes.
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2010, 11:53 PM
I dont leave the food down, but i dont feed at exact times either. The puppy gets fed 3 times per day, and indie gets fed 1 to 2 times per day.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
If I free fed mine they would gorge and gorge. I don't feed at certain times either. When I used to do that Willow would do a bile sick each morning as her stomach was anticipating food.

They can get fed anything from once a day to three times a day; though usually once. It could be morning or late evening and anywhere inbetween.

If I'm going out they get a kong stuffed with cheap steak, that's the only predicable bit about their meals generally.
Yup about the same here
free feeding imo makes food boring, I try and make it as interesting as I can
today they were loving digging and sniffing in the snow for food scattered in the garden, some days its stuffed in a kong, sometimes I hand feed lots in a training game

sometimes its even in a bowl (although if its something big Ben does like to carry it into the room where I am and eat it with me
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2010, 12:35 AM
I don't agree with free feeding, imagine having your dinner in front of you all day.

I think free feeding can make dogs overweight/picky eaters/bored with their food and leaving food around encourages vermin and pests particularly in warm weather.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 11:51 AM
i dont free feed, but i dont have exact times that they get fed. they have one feed in the morning and then one at night. they are fed around the same time, but not strict set times because sometimes im still asleep, or sometimes they get fed earlier because im going out and want them to eat and toilet before i go.

average times are between 8-10 and 5-7.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 12:00 PM
I have free fed 2 as youngsters. Both because they had issues eating and (1 was) underweight.

Others were older and have had set meals as did Siren.

My dogs tend to be gobblers - except the ones who were free fed. Both of them are very gentle about food and eat nice and slowly. Food is still a motivator for them for training.

I was speaking to someone else the other day who had observed this with her dogs as well - the two that (from pups) had been free fed then moved onto set meals were very gentle about food, but the others (who had been given set meals as pups) were very greedy.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=Tassle;2106733]I have free fed 2 as youngsters. Both because they had issues eating and (1 was) underweight.

Others were older and have had set meals as did Siren.

My dogs tend to be gobblers - except the ones who were free fed. Both of them are very gentle about food and eat nice and slowly. Food is still a motivator for them for training.

I was speaking to someone else the other day who had observed this with her dogs as well - the two that (from pups) had been free fed then moved onto set meals were very gentle about food, but the others (who had been given set meals as pups) were very greedy.[/QUOTE]

my 'pack' dispel that theory
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I`ve got 4 dogs. Trust me, you don`t free feed with 4 dogs.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >