Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 12:15 AM

finally found time......

To post on here during my 2nd day of puppy ownership!! My word Monty is keeping us busy.

So far he's been pretty good, got him familiar with new home yesteray and he went for his first little walk today cos he had his 2nd jab over a week ago.

He's met friends and family today and learnt to poo in the garden, still have a few wee accidents in the house but he gets most on the paper.

The OH slept on camp bed in the kitchen with him last night but he seems to love his basket. Tonight took longer to get him to go in it but as soon as I ignored him and turned my back he got in and went to sleep so OH is now sleeping on hallway floor on the otherside the door from monty and so far so good cos I can't hear him crying!!!

Biggest problem we have is at mealtimes, so we shut him inkitchen whilst we eat but he howls and barks, hopefully he will get used to it though.

Certainly is tiring work having a puppy in the house!
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2008, 12:31 AM
lol is it the dog or your other half crying, i would be trying to sleep on a camp bed, the things we do for our dogs
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 12:47 AM
I spoke too soon, I'm in bed, the OH is otherside of the door to the dog and Monty is barking like crazy. Have just told the OH to ignore him as he keeps talking to him through the door.

I feel awful hearing him bark like that and the neighbours must be cursing us but I hope we're doing the right thing by ignoring his cries??
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 01:23 AM
It'll be hard hun but its best to ignore him otherwise he'll keep it up for longer each night x
I know as Shila did the same thing for 3 weeks and in the end i gave up and let her sleep in the landing until i got her a friend now she's happy to be downstairs x
Good luck xx
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Well he barked until about 3am then he slept until 6am which is when the binmen turned up and woke him so we left him until half 7 when we got up.

I really hope he doesn't do the same tonight cos he's pretty loud. I don't mind so much but our neighbours, even though they have dogs are not really the nice, understanding type.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Poor you, and OH of course.

Sure Monty will settle soon xx
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Ah, Boxer puppies overnight... I remember it well!

As long as you stick to your guns, Monty will be fine. It's really hard to ignore, but he will soon learn that night time is bedtime..

We need puppy pictures though!!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Puppy pictures will be coming very soon! That's if I can get him to sit still long enough!!

He will get there eventually with the sleeping and I'm pleased with myself for not giving in and going to him in the night and even more pleased that he still seemed happy to see me this morning and didn't hate me for not comforting him!!

Must be tough for him as he was the last pup to leave and had a weeks alone time with his mum and another older boxer. His basket is full of blankets that smell like them though so he should settle soon - I hope!!

Iso, how long did it take yours to settle and sleep through?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Iso, how long did it take yours to settle and sleep through?
Murphy was dead easy, cos we already had Max, so he only cried for 2 or 3 nights.

Max was an only dog when we got him, and he cried every night for about a week. All night. We slept on a futon mattress in the living room whilst he was crated in the kitchen. I spent several nights asleep on the kitchen floor with my hand stuck through the crate

After about a week (of getting up to let him out for a wee etc), we went back upstairs, and just set a little alarm clock for his 'toilet time' and we would ignore any crying and just get up when the alarm went off. We'd put him outside, wait for him to wee, praise him and then put him back in the crate and go back to bed!

I'd say that by the time he was 13 weeks old, he was going with only 1 toilet time in the night and was (mostly) clean at night by about 15 weeks.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Sounds like we might have a few more weeks of it then!! As I said we didn't go to him at all last night and he did all his business on the newspaper by the back door. I know we should probably be letting him out but I don't want to go to him whilst he's crying incase he just thinks he can cry and cry and eventually I'll come.

Or maybe I'm just worrying too much!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >