Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 10:16 PM
lovely dog
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the honest responses Shona, I do appreciate them.

I posted his weight stupidly based on the info given to me. Since I have checked the paperwork to find out the last vet visit had him at 36kg as you say just over 5 and a half stone. I should have clarified my error. He is not in shape and does need bulking up but it'll come. At 15mnths he has a bit of growing so slow and steady is the plan.

I did try to weigh him but without "vet" scales my domestic digital went "OL"
I'll take him by the vets soon.

Puffy eye thing is just the long hair, does look that way tho.

I intend on doing things right and wont be taking any risks, dont want any accidents, incidents or any other "ents" if at all possible.

I did consider "working" Tiny our mali but she has to many aches n complaints these days. She is trained for alert, search and did bite work as a youngster and enjoys it thoroughly, she certainly has the high prey drive. We go through the motions regularly as its great exercise, physically and mentally.
Even Tank joins in recently picking up on the alert commands etc

At the end of the day as a business if the work isnt there, then im no worse off. Yes expensive start up costs but most of it is on things that benefit our lives on a day to day basis. I enjoy the subject and training, another great companion in the family and the option to work with dogs and get paid for it when the work is there. It certainly isnt up here, time will tell but im going to give it my best shot.
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Forgot to say, He will be trained as a GP dog. So agility/obedience, basic search, alert/vocalisation, patroling, and last resort is protection, with and without weapon attack defense. Which of course is an exceptionally rare occurrence. It is a long process to get to where he needs to be then I can look at certification for him through NASDU or NTIPDU etc and working as mentioned before with CT regularly.

Ty also Jackie, he's a joy to have around.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Shona isn't the only one to be having a heart attack - I am myself reading this!

Please tell me I've misunderstood here and you haven't only read up about Rotts for 30 mins before getting one with immense behavioural problems?

[

I completely disagree that this is misplaced behaviour - a dog "pulls, lunges, bites, barks, bounds and air snaps at face height" is absolutely showing outward aggression, which seemingly has been 'taught' by a boy of 15. Rotties are a natural guard dog, in the wrong hands (and clearly this boy has been) inciting their aggression, they can be extremely dangerous. IMO the very last thing this Rott needs is to be encouraged to defend/guard even further. If anything he needs taken back to absolute basics and socialized and re-trained completely to try and cancel out all these horrendous bad habits.

Only a dog who is of balanced mind and temperament should be trained for this line of work and even then only by someone with experience who knows what they are doing. This dog is far from that.

As for that last bit about if he doesn't work out with the protection/security training he will make a fine family companion. I strongly disagree - yes, dogs like Police dogs who have been trained and raised properly by professionals can fit into the family home and many of them successfully live with their handlers families once retired. But these dogs do not have behavioural issues and have been manhandled by a young boy and show aggressive not to mention highly dangerous tendancies. He simply isn't cut out for protection work.

If you teach this dog any more aggression or bite work then put him in a family home, you may as well be lighting the blue touch paper to a disaster.

I cannot remember in my whole time of being on Dogsey being so worried over a post. I do hope you re-consider what you are doing with this dog.
I'm sorry but I have to totally agree with AM, you really shouldn't be thinking about doing this with anything less than a dog with a perfect and stable temperament who you know 100% his history, lines and especially as you are relatively new to this, i'd be saying the same to someone who'd been doing it for years although I doubt they would go for such a dog, no offence but why did you choose him over a well bred pup or older dog from a breeder?

When I got Bear he had a lot of 'misplaced behaviours' as you put it but not one single aggressive tendency, no snapping or anything, the aggressiveness has obviously been embellished by the boy, it's not a natural instinct, guarding yes, but the aggressiveness is down to the owner.

And i'm not part of any rottie clique either.

JMO
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Are you going to hip score him before training callum?

I would think given his breeding and the work you intend to do with him it would be a good idea, He looks like BYB'ing you may find he has less than perfect hips

Its a good idea to have any dog you intend to do this sort of work with scored before training.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 10:18 AM
And i'm not part of any rottie clique either.
LOL nor me,
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-12-2008, 10:24 AM
I hope to catch the vets today in fact, so I'll be discussing all that stuff then

atm we have a camera up our chimney which has been leaking badly. so no heating. A disruption and stress we didnt need.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 11:00 AM
atm we have a camera up our chimney which has been leaking badly. so no heating. A disruption and stress we didnt need.
oh been there with that problem a few weeks ago, when it was freezing... its a nightmare

let us know how you get on at the vets with him?
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Well, we will have to agree to disagree Callum - I completely stand by everything I said previously. Massive alarm bells just ring out to me when reading this thread

Whilst it's great he is out of the situation he was in before with that 15yr old boy - I just don't think security or protection work is the road he should be heading down (obedience/agility/WT yes, that would be great for him)

I am not in any fraternity or clique either - I am nothing more than a Rottie owner (and have been for many years) and a breed enthusiast. One who just wants what is best for the dog and for that matter the owner!
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Turns out we need to get the bottom half of our chimney replaced, dunno how or when atm.

In other news... the vet stopped by and he was excellent for her and got a good check over, she couldnt weigh him as she broke the scales she use's out and about so I'll pop by next time im passing and see what it reads. She agree's he is undermuscled and needs bulking up but overall not an unsuitable weight just needs the conditioning. All else A-ok and she passed comment on how good is back legs were as she has seen a few that arent the best. Keeps me happy that he's been checked over whilst in my care, once he settles in properly gets his fitness up and a regular consistent diet then we'll get him checked again and take it from there.

I may not get online much in the near future depending on the chimney situ. Updates when i can
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >