View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 05:03 PM
There is nothing like this in Scotland as when a company needs a dog, they private hire down south and its not very often. i know because i spoke to all the main security companies and it wasn't pleasant answers.
As said before, its not something I would do with my company, its just not viable, but if part of a contract required it, yes I would sub contract for a dog and handler.. that way its not my insurance and liability on the line...
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 01:48 AM
Gorgeous pics xx
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Shona isn't the only one to be having a heart attack - I am myself reading this!

Originally Posted by Callum View Post
In every respect he is Rottie to me, and after 30mins reading about the subject it makes sense. we werent aware he was long coated when we went to see him or I would have researched. Anyone else got a long coated?
Please tell me I've misunderstood here and you haven't only read up about Rotts for 30 mins before getting one with immense behavioural problems?

[
He was bought by owners of a pub for there teenage son! The boy at 15 was taking him to the park etc and setting him on peeps and pulling him back at the last mo! He was taken from the boy when the parents found out and as the parents couldnt get near the dog they bunged him outside
He is house trained and crate trained but thats about as far as it goes. he pulls, lunges, bites, barks, bounds and air snaps at face height!!

His aggression is not so much aggression as misplaced behaviour with a lack of inhibition. He has moderate to low prey drive and seems to perceive threat well only reacting with defence drive when there is something to be concerned about.

Should he not be suitable he will make a very good companion as he does have a great temperament, just needs boundaries, direction etc etc. IF he is rehomed, will I be bunging an ad up in the free ads? no. I have somewhere lined up if needs be.
I completely disagree that this is misplaced behaviour - a dog "pulls, lunges, bites, barks, bounds and air snaps at face height" is absolutely showing outward aggression, which seemingly has been 'taught' by a boy of 15. Rotties are a natural guard dog, in the wrong hands (and clearly this boy has been) inciting their aggression, they can be extremely dangerous. IMO the very last thing this Rott needs is to be encouraged to defend/guard even further. If anything he needs taken back to absolute basics and socialized and re-trained completely to try and cancel out all these horrendous bad habits.

Only a dog who is of balanced mind and temperament should be trained for this line of work and even then only by someone with experience who knows what they are doing. This dog is far from that.

As for that last bit about if he doesn't work out with the protection/security training he will make a fine family companion. I strongly disagree - yes, dogs like Police dogs who have been trained and raised properly by professionals can fit into the family home and many of them successfully live with their handlers families once retired. But these dogs do not have behavioural issues and have been manhandled by a young boy and show aggressive not to mention highly dangerous tendancies. He simply isn't cut out for protection work.

If you teach this dog any more aggression or bite work then put him in a family home, you may as well be lighting the blue touch paper to a disaster.

I cannot remember in my whole time of being on Dogsey being so worried over a post. I do hope you re-consider what you are doing with this dog.
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Shona isn't the only one to be having a heart attack - I am myself reading this!

Please tell me I've misunderstood here and you haven't only read up about Rotts for 30 mins before getting one with immense behavioural problems?

[
Yes you have misunderstood, I read up on "long haired" rotts for 30 mins. And he does not have immense behavioural problems. Just lacked direction and boundaries.

I completely disagree that this is misplaced behaviour - a dog "pulls, lunges, bites, barks, bounds and air snaps at face height" is absolutely showing outward aggression, which seemingly has been 'taught' by a boy of 15. Rotties are a natural guard dog, in the wrong hands (and clearly this boy has been) inciting their aggression, they can be extremely dangerous. IMO the very last thing this Rott needs is to be encouraged to defend/guard even further. If anything he needs taken back to absolute basics and socialized and re-trained completely to try and cancel out all these horrendous bad habits.

Your entitled to your opinion, BUT I can assure you his previous behaviour was as I described it and not "outward" aggression. He has a great temperament and since being with us (and I mean from the minute he left his previous home) has been impeccably behaved. I will be spending the first few weeks doing no more than establishing a routine, regular exercise, better diet, placing boundaries and MOST importantly bonding. Then basic obedience, general training to be followed by role specific training. lastly would be bite work, intruder work etc. This of course would NOT be happening if he was not upto the job and was unsuitable, this would be apparent long before role specific training.

Only a dog who is of balanced mind and temperament should be trained for this line of work and even then only by someone with experience who knows what they are doing. This dog is far from that.

I agree, with the exception that he is of the correct temperament, otherwise I would not have taken him on.

As for that last bit about if he doesn't work out with the protection/security training he will make a fine family companion. I strongly disagree - yes, dogs like Police dogs who have been trained and raised properly by professionals can fit into the family home and many of them successfully live with their handlers families once retired. But these dogs do not have behavioural issues and have been manhandled by a young boy and show aggressive not to mention highly dangerous tendancies. He simply isn't cut out for protection work.

If you teach this dog any more aggression or bite work then put him in a family home, you may as well be lighting the blue touch paper to a disaster.

As above I wont be teaching anything beyond the basics of obedience, boundaries, routine etc to ensure his suitability. And the home in place is not a family home not that I think I will need it.

As I said before his temperament is the most important factor, he must live with us as a family and be capable of his intended working role. As it stands he has impressed no end and seems ideal for the job.
I hope as with my previous replies, I have helped ease your concerns. It does seem it is the Rottie fraternity taking objection to my plans. Nothing wrong with protecting your chosen breed of course

If there is genuine interest then I shall continue to update, I would have thought it preferable that a young dog of any breed, but esp a Rott getting an opportunity to have a proper way of life instead of an existence, not least after the start he has had would be seen as a good thing! As a breed they make good working dogs (no shock there), and I firmly believe he has what it takes to be a stable, happy family/working dog.
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Gorgeous pics xx
Ty Lorna, hope to most more soon
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi Callum

I am actually very interested in how this works out and would like you to keep me info'd - it would be nice to see how his training goes also. I'm not part of the rott fraternity, however i think, at the moment you're judgement was maybe a wee bit misplaced. Time will tell to be fair and if i remember rightly - you have done a lot with dogs.

The tendencies that this rotti has shown before you got him rightly has everyone worried and i for one know that shona for one would have been extremely worried - which i understand after having met hers and spent time with them with my pup. They have such a bad press due to people like these kids.

Common sense prevails and it will be an interesting outcome.

Linda
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the reply Linda, in the meantime here's a couple of pics from today...

Mid bath, well wash down

Taken just now after a busy day of normality
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 07:53 PM
LOL - at least he lets you take pics - my pup doesn't stop long enough, lol.

He seems quite skinny - i take it you have a wee bit of feeding up to do

I can't believe you are moving from that gorgeous area down to all the hustle and bustle and dirt, lol - are you mad???????
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2008, 08:00 PM
I think I might be, lol.

Yes he is quite out of shape, not skinny so much as undermuscled as it were. Good diet and regular exercise with my other 2 and he will be ship shape. He gets on brilliantly with them both but has been told his place by both. Very pleased they are an acceptable pair. I havent weighed him but the last vet visit had him at 36kg. As far as im aware the past 3-5mnths have not been the most active and certainly not consistent, I like to have day 1 pics for a future comparison.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 09:56 PM
I would have thought it preferable that a young dog of any breed, but esp a Rott getting an opportunity to have a proper way of life instead of an existence,

As a breed they make good working dogs (no shock there),
yes they can do in the right hands, but they can also lack the drive to work for long spells, that said I assume hes just going to be a bite dog, he will not be doing long/cold tracks or anything?

Im sorry you dont like what your hearing callum, but I have seen so many that have tried this and got it so badly wrong, its left to people like myself and AM to pick up the flack for it,
there was a recent story of a rescue selling a rottie to another bouncer who thought he would try his hand at other types of security, when the dog ended up biting his daughters face it was all over the papers, what you have to remember is, its not the rescue, or the owner that carry the can for this stupidity,. ITS THE BREED.
why did you not use your mal? a breed you know well, they have great qualitys for the job,

Your first post puts him at 8 stone... hes not 8 stone, 36kg works in at around 5.5 stone I think, you will have to get some weight on him and condition, 36kg is far to light for a male rottie of that age, my tiny bitch holly is 41kg...vinne is 52kg
If hes standing at 27" hes gona have to bulk up a fair bit, he must be so unfit and under fed.

Can I also ask, his eyes look very puffy on the outer side of his face, Or is it just the long coat making them look like that?

I wouldnt even mind so much Callum but I truely dont think the work you hope for, will be there,. Im not talking off my cuff, im in the business.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >