View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 11:51 AM

Breed health tests. Which tests are required/recommended for your breed?

In the many many different breeds there many many health tests. What in your breed are the main health tests needed if you were to breed?
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi in Rough collies we test for PRA/CEA, a lot more breeders are testing hips now.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Elkhounds eyes for PRA, glaucoma, hips, and responsible breeders would check the parents pedigrees for epilepsy (now very rare, fortunatly) Umbilical hernia (too many for my liking) and any liver or kidney problems that may be heredity. Having said that most breeders are doing a good job because the breed is known for it's good health.
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Eurasier: Hips, Patella and eyes.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Health Problems affecting the Miniature Schnauzer

Cataracts (both Hereditary and Congenital Hereditary forms) and Generalised Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA), can occur in the Miniature Schnauzer.
Every effort must be made to eradicate such problems from the breed and it is very strongly recommended that ALL Miniature Schnauzers be eye tested annually, by a vet registered under the British Veterinary Association/The Kennel Club Eye Scheme.
Puppies can be tested for the Congenital form of cataract at 6-8 weeks. You should only buy a puppy that has been tested. Hereditary cataract and PRA need annual tests as these both develop later. The former can only be diagnosed from about 6 months so all all puppies should be tested again at 12 months, and annually after that. PRA may not appear until 3 years of age upwards.
All dogs should be tested annually up to the age of 8 years.
Should your dog be diagnosed with any of the above conditions it is VITAL that you immediately inform the SCGB, the Miniature Schnauzer Club and its breeder, this is the only way to stamp out these conditions.
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Irish Terriers have no specific health tests, they are considered free of genetic disorders . Although two Irish Terriers have recently been diagnosed with hyperkeritosis (cracked paws), so breed clubs worldwide are very concerned, one dog has been neutered but the other one can't be traced . I sometimes have concern about Olives hips, sometimes feel she holds it funny when she runs , but I am probably just being a worrying mum - I would like hip scoring in all breed though, better safe than sorry is my opinion.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by olive
Irish Terriers have no specific health tests, they are considered free of genetic disorders .
That's great Olive and long may it be so I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact ITs have never become 'overfashionable'' and seem to have just maintained a steady number of enthusiasts over the years, so have not been exploited
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 02:52 PM
It is good to hear that there are no hereditary health conditions that are endemic in the UK for the Irish Terrier, there are however 4 recognised world wide, namely the one you mention Digital hyrekeratosis and also Cystinuria, Muscular dystrophy and PRA. It is good too know that the stock in the UK are not caring these conditions and long may it remain so.
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Thordell this is currently being discuss on the Irish Terrier forum. Apparently, there has only been 1 or 2 reported cases of Muscular Dystrophy in Australia, no one on our forum has ever heard of this being conected to the breed, PRA is not considered a problem and there appears to have been only a handful of cases years ago. Cystinuira, not sure what that is, is that a urinary condition, because I've heard of ITs with some urinary problems - stones of some sort. I don't believe that ITs are free from hereditary conditions, the extent of any condition in the breed is not know, because breeders don't test . Granted ITs are a very healthy breed, but I would like to keep them that way by making sure testing is done. Hyperkeratosis as I said, is concerning as this had pretty much been eradicated until these last two cases . Thankful breeders worldwide have been alerted.
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Jackie, I meant to add that I think testing is also important because as you said, these conditions may be a problem in another country and if we don't test the breed as standard how do we know whether we are importing dogs with this condition and screwing up the gene pool. In the breed just now we have a very prominent stud from Gremany who is siring lots of litters, now he is a beautiful dog and is probably very healthy, but how do we know the next imported stud will be as healthy if we don't test. The future of this breed is just too important to risk.

Edited to add: the 2 cases of Hyperkeritosis were in the UK - I don't think there is a test for the condition unfortunately and I've really only heard of the condition affecting ITs, not sure how prevalent it is in other breeds.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >