Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2006, 09:49 AM

Fear aggression, will it last?

3 days ago Maddy was attacked by another dog. It wasn't too serious, it ran up out of no-where, and got hold of her ear. She got hold of it by the scruff and got it off her, then it ran off, owner no-where in sight. There was blood everywhere and it was harrowing for both me and Maddy, but on closer inspection it turned out it was just a little nick on her ear that had bled a lot.

Anyway since then she's met other dogs in the park, and each time she has barked and barked, hackles up, warning them off, so i've kept her on lead but she's used to being let off and she's now starting to get hyperactive around the home with all this pent up energy.

She was attacked before when she was very young, and since then she has always been wary of other dogs, off lead running toward her, but now it has happened again, and with her being older, she seems to be standing her ground, but with any dog now, on or off lead.

It has only been a few days since the incident, so i'm guessing she's still very shook up about it.

What can I do to make her feel more at ease with strange dogs again? There are a lot of dogs around here and it's nigh on impossible to go for a walk without coming accross at least 1 or 2. Even dogs at the other side of the road, she has her hackles up and is going mad, and they haven't even bat an eyelid towards her.

Its very sad to see as she is usually so friendly and happy, and always wanting to play with other dogs Now she's just so frightened of them all

Do you think it is worth having a chat with my vet about?

Thanks for the help guys, anything is muchly appreciated.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Going on what you've said, I'd be tempted to let her off with known dogs who may just bumble along with her, or who would give very obvious play signals but leave her if she signalled this.

It doesn't sound as if she's going to go for another dog, more as if she's saying "keep away, I'm scared". It may be that she'd react fine if she was given the opportunity to get back to normal. However there is a risk involved.

I'd suggest seeing a trainer www.apdt.co.uk and ask for maybe a one to one sessoin out on a walk with you to give you confidence, as they would be good at reading your dog and other dogs too.

If not, you could try desensitising and counterconditioning, but for this you'd need behavioural help really
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks Wysiwig, I think I am going to look for a behaviourist or something as it's obvious i'm going to need to start from scratch intoducing her carefully to well behaved dogs, it's just so disheartning knowing that's not 'really' her.

I have no idea what is going to happen to her show career, if she'll ever be able to carry on It's really upset me.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Do you have any friends with "safe" dogs that you could go walking with to build up her confidence again. I would be tempted to let her off the lead to run with "safe" dogs, otherwise there is the problem she may get defensive whilst on lead when dogs approach, and that may escalate.

Hope it works out ok and sorry you both had to go through this
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2006, 03:43 PM
I went through the same thing when Storm was attacked as a puppy. She used to run and hide from border collie's and became really defensive with other breeds

Luckily there was a really good group of doggy walkers that knew my situation who let Storm go up to thier dogs. Yes it was a bit nerve racking seeing Storm bound over, hackles raised, barking and snarling, but the other dogs were so laid back, they used to ignore her until she stopped. Once Storm realised that not all dogs were going to attack her, she calmed down.

Now I can let her off with most other dogs. It's only a few she can be funny with, and mostly when she's on the lead.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2006, 04:25 PM
My Dobe has fear aggression and our behaviourist has told me that it never goes away we have to learn to control it. Suki is on a personal programme with the behaviourist and totally agree it's the only way to go.

Unfortunately Suki's fear aggression is due to her need to control/be in charge of us (she didn't display any characteristics with the behaviourist). The programme is starting to have an effect - but make sure it's a 121 session - got to be personalised for Maddy's needs.

Good luck
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I feel absolutely gutted I really do. All this over so stupid loose dog.

I don't really know anyone around here with 'safe' dogs. The people I know with dogs usually travel to walk them as there are better places by car, but I haven't passed my test yet so I can't drive

There are a few trainers around here, I will deffinately ring up and get some 1-2-1 with Maddy. I just feel so bad for her.
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Kel, Just make sure you do it very quickly and get her back out there as the longer you leave all interaction the more ingrained the fear becomes.

I know its hard for you but even if she is playing up on the lead try to ignore it and keep on walking her for now, until you find a stooge dog you can trust 100% to help you.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2006, 07:43 PM
aww i really do hope you can get it sorted fingers crossed for you both and loads of hugs coming your way
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-10-2006, 07:55 PM
I think Maddy just needs her confidence boosting up again so allowing her to play with other like minded dogs will help her no end.I know she's not reacting too well at the moment,but she may be sensing you tensing up when another dog approaches and reacts on that alone.

Often dogs behave themselves much better off lead because they dont feel threatened by being tethered.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >