Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by runningrabbit View Post
Another link with a list of studies - this time showing that spaying and neutering do not reduce aggression in dogs:
http://saveourdogs.net/wp/wp-content...er-in-dogs.pdf
In some dogs it does, in some dogs it doesn't

Sorry, but my experience differs from the conclusions
runningrabbit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Personally, I prefer to base my actions on research because my own personal experience is only going to extend to a very small number of dogs - even if including those beyond my own - and can't possibly cover hundreds or thousands.
runningrabbit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I've discussed this topic in quite some length with three or four different vets I know now and every one of them has said that the risk of this happening is usually when the dog is prone to UTI prior to spaying. I know the vet I use now always looks at the medical history when spaying is requested. Again, anecdotal as we have no national statistics on which to base the assumptions
I'm not sure what it is that you're saying, here: Spay incontinence occurs after a spay - not before. There are no indications, prior to this, that a dog will be incontinent or not. Spay incontinence is due to 1) hormones being removed - which enable the bladder sphincter to close completely; the ongoing medication which is provided for spay incontinence is hormonal, therefore it seems clear to me that it was a hormonal cause, if hormones fix it. There is also hypothesised to be a link between 2) the presence of the uterus offering structural support to the bladder - which obviously isn't there, after a spay.

Neither of these things have anything to do with UTI…

I guess you're saying you'd rather make decisions based on, as you call it, 'anecdotal' evidence and your own 'personal experience' rather than studies and research, though.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 02:09 PM
I base on what I see until solid evidence is available - most definitely.

When solid evidence is available, I will revise my thoughts or not dependent on what the evidence shows.
runningrabbit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-07-2012, 02:10 PM
What is your definition of 'solid evidence'? The huge weight of studies now in existence are, to me, very 'solid evidence'.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 02:12 PM
of course, what is currently lacking is national data on this and many other health related topics. I know that the vet association is looking at ways to link data from vets. When that link is made, the information will be there. It's such a pity that it isn't available now, but, at least we are in the early stages of, hopefully, bringing it all together
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by runningrabbit View Post
What is your definition of 'solid evidence'? The huge weight of studies now in existence are, to me, very 'solid evidence'.
What I am reading about the Scandinavian countries is that they have reversed their policy---or are going to. Due to dog/dog aggression in entire dogs.

The studies which Azz put on I commented on, no one has replied to that so the only thing I can think is that no one can answer those points because they are valid.

There is no point talking about great weights of studies if they have such glaringly obvious holes in them.

I prefer to read the studies with an open mind and query them if need be and then make my decisions based on those and my personal experience.

rune
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2012, 04:35 PM
This subject hasn't been an issue for me really as Whisper was 7 1/2 when we rehomed her - and it is very likely she was spayed already. The only way to find out for certain being to open her up we decided to leave things as they are due to her age. Interestingly enough; the rescue she came from advised this course of action too.

She's never had a season since being with us - she was microchipped and obviously had a good start in life - so it's very likely she's spayed anyway.

I would always spay a bitch due to what I believe to be the increased risk of mammary tumours etc plus the fact that I live in an area with a lot of dogs - probably a lot of entire dogs too.

Since being on this forum though my attitude to neutering dogs has changed somewhat and now I'm not so sure I'd do it 'automatically'.

I would have to weigh everything up and make my decision - it's not going to be something I have to worry about for a while though!

I do feel that far too many vets spay / neuter far too young though and this is something I've witnessed with friends lately. I would not spay or neuter until 1 year upwards - probably nearer 18 months - again much of what I've read on here regarding the presence of hormones being important for developing bones makes a lot of sense to me.

My rabbits are neutered and spayed (boy/girl pair) - and so are my guinea pig boys. (boy/boy pair). All done by the rescue. There are more people in the 'Fancy Rat' world routinely spaying now too to prevent mammary tumours / pyometra and it's something I'd consider doing. My hamster is actually spayed too - due to a nasty case of pyo' - again done by the rescue.

Not really OT I know but just thought it might be interesting lol.
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Is it not a concern towards dog health that it's "better for them" to spay bitches to prevent X, Y, and Z ? That it's "necessary" ?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2012, 06:28 PM
I, personally, would always spay a bitch, if she were not going to have a litter.

I just think the risk of a dog dying from pyo, is far greater than the risk of a spay.

Males are a different issue IMO, but I still think that most of the general dog owning public should neuter their males.

Also, I don't think other countries can be compared, because most of the time, the way of life is very different to here so a direct comparison just doesn't work IMO.
Page 11 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »