Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2007, 09:49 AM

help -dog trainer? not sure of his methods

I've been looking into finding a dog trainer but its proving more difficult than i thought doesn't seem to be many here in spain, anyway

I've found one and have emailed him but i'm not sure i like his methods

he talks about using choke chains and says to stop max jumping up at people when he meets them i've to use compressed air he's only 16weeks old for heavens sake!!

can any one out there tell me if this normal training as in the UK because if its not i'm not taking him sure theres a better way than that!!

help please
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't go anywhere near him!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 09:53 AM
I think there are more positive training methods than this...you can buy the compressed air over here and I used it stop Fudge barking constantly at the rabbits outside but she is now terrified of it. I no longer use it.....
Matt & Vikki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Choke chains and compressed gas are not normal training methods in my opinion, especially not for a 16 week old pup.

Teaching a dog to sit to say hello is the best way in my opinion to stop them jumping up.

While looking for a trainer read How to teach a new dog old tricks by Ian Dunbar, fantastic book and really helped us understand training methods for our dog. He also used training classes which followed the same methodology and in fact one of our trainers had been on one of Ian Dunbars courses.
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2007, 09:54 AM
THOUGHT HAS MUCH!!!! Little voice in my head was saying this is not right.. thanks never being to a trainer before so didnt know what to expect
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 10:01 AM
i use a 'choke' chain,but its proper term if used correctly is called a 'correction chain',ive never heard of 'compressed air',i think hes a loony.
ive always used a a correction chain and live by this training method but this bloke does seem 2no wot hes on about.
max is only 16weeks! god,not even my trainer whos registered wouldnt allow me 2use a chain on her until she was 4months or more and shes a mastiff.
please dont see correction chains as cruel,if used properly they can be very affective,its a quick jolt at the top of they neck,not a choke.
if you are going to use the correction chain method then try to find sum1 who knows wot hes/shes on about.
this bloke just sounds like a nut job
good luck
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 10:04 AM
the above was supposed to say this bloke'doesnt' no wot hes on about
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by mj View Post
THOUGHT HAS MUCH!!!! Little voice in my head was saying this is not right.. thanks never being to a trainer before so didnt know what to expect
Your gut instinct was correct - and if you don't feel comfortable that it is not right for you or your dog - personally I too wouldn't want to talk to anyone using these methods - there are many more postive methods out there.

that's what you want to here really when you talk to them that they use reward based or positive methods.

Hope you find someone soon right for you and your dog
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2007, 10:08 AM
does ne1 out there no what this(compressed air)is?it sounds,well,in so many words,crazy
Matt & Vikki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Compressed gas is attached to a collar and can be triggered remotely to distract / warn a dog when it is disobeying a command, by spraying air at their face.

It can be very effective in the right hands but can be disastrous in the wrong hands. Its all about timing and should be used with extreme caution and care. (As should a correction chain)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »