Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by leo
it's the modem as well you can have 4 pc's connected via cable also wireless connections as well
Cheers Leo That sounds just what I need then. So basically, all I'd need to get is that box plus 2 more network cables and I'm done (all for under £30) Yay :smt041 Thank You

The weirdest thing that gets me about my current network is that my OH can go on his poker websites and have no prob (he's on pc no.2). I am on the main one and again have no probs. BUT when we swap over, I can't see a single webpage. All I get is the error message that page can't be found. If its being nice, it will finally load up google, but if I try to load up DW, it stalls and then I get the same error message So me thinks that if I get the other pc connected, then I've got double the chance of getting on DW
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-04-2006, 08:16 AM
You need to make sure you get the correct ethernet network cables. There are two kinds of these cables - standard or crossover.

If you connect PC to PC direct, you would use crossover cable.
If you connect to a router, you would use standard.

You need standard cable for each PC you wish to connect to the router. Your existing network cable is likely to be a crossover cable, so won't work under the new setup.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by royv
You need to make sure you get the correct ethernet network cables. There are two kinds of these cables - standard or crossover.

If you connect PC to PC direct, you would use crossover cable.
If you connect to a router, you would use standard.

You need standard cable for each PC you wish to connect to the router. Your existing network cable is likely to be a crossover cable, so won't work under the new setup.
Thanks Roy
I never realised that there were different ones. I just bought the longest one from pc world, so will definately make sure I ask for a standard one. (althuogh they're cheaper off the net)

So with the router thingy connected to the pcs, is there anything that I need to do in windows or will I just run the network disc on the other pcs?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
So with the router thingy connected to the pcs, is there anything that I need to do in windows or will I just run the network disc on the other pcs?
No you can use the disk if you want all that does is transfur the settings from the first to the rest of the pc's that you put the disk into.

(If you have any problems you know where i am)
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2