Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Even allowing for the fact that these are the ancient links from where our modern breeds originate my mind can't imagine how the chihuaha came about from a link between the hunting & mastiff groups
Sounds believable to me:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/316/5821/112.short
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I wonder why the GSD is in that list, then? If what I've always read is true, then I thought only various herding breeds were used in its make-up (with perhaps a touch of wolf, perhaps not! according to some accounts). Was a breed/s like the Rottweiler included as well, to give size?

I am not surprised to see the Belgians in a separate category along with some sighthounds.... I forget where I read it, but I've always understood they had some sighthound in their far ancestry.

Rough Collie in the same category also makes sense as they were crossed with Borzoi at some point (or so legend has it) which would account for the genetic relationship, although that doesn't really explain the Sheltie, which I always thought may have had distant Spitz ancestry, given the history of its native islands.
I always just assumed, without much thought, that a Sheltie was a bred down rough collie, especially as some dogs can be borderline small RC, large Sheltie?

It's interesting that it confirms what the Belgian people have always known in terms of the BSD and GSD virtually being parallel evolution of form fitting function: two breeds, independently produced, for much the same purpose, hence end up with similar form (or at least so before the great GSD debate ).

Although some working line Mals are getter more and more simliar to the GSDs, particularly the rectangular rather than square outline, the ear size and the heavier heads.

Physically the head shape of the Belgian is not all that different to the Borzoi, and obviously, as you say, rough collies and Borzoi are reputed to be connected and have similar lack of frontal stop.

Wysiwyg I have found with my Belgians that they have tended to need more GA than standard, to overcome the adrenaline, but I don't know how typical that is and certainly sight hounds can be very sensitive to GAs, but I think Siberians can too.

I think BSDs lack of body fat is more to do with them rarely stopping still and being inactive for too long Even when stationary they can often be quite stressy and fret weight off

Unfortunately sighthounds can and do put on weight if overfed- fat whippets, IGs and greyhounds etc look awful Although with some sighthounds getting them eat enough to hold weight can be tricky, but I think that is maybe more a mental outlook than a genetic inability to store body fat and it sometimes changes with age. I.e when younger they eat to live (unlike Labradors who generally live to eat), as they slow down and settle they can use up less energy and gain a better appetite.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I think BSDs lack of body fat is more to do with them rarely stopping still and being inactive for too long

Sorry could'nt resist - here's my girl Bijou in typical pose

[IMG][/IMG]
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
Sorry could'nt resist - here's my girl Bijou in typical pose

[IMG][/IMG]
No, I have very, very rarely seen mine in that pose, unless having a tummy rub at the time.

Mine slept (occasionally ), and the earlier one was a lot hyper than the later one, but only so long as nothing alerted their interest or required them to monitor, review, investigate, guard, comment on, play with, supervise etc etc
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Seems odd to me that the flatcoated retriever and the labrador retriever are not more closely linked to the golden retriever.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
It might explain their general lack of body fat I guess. I was told by my breeder yonks ago, when GAs were a problem with BSDs, that it was because their bodies are more like sighthounds than GSDs (which the vets tended to treat them as back then).
It was a big issue back then... Pre-internet it was hard to find out much about Belgians as they had scant mention in dog books, but I contacted the breed club in the early 90's for more information and was sent a very interesting booklet, which I kept for years! The GA issue was such an issue that it contained a two-page warning about putting Belgians under anaesthetic.

Thankfully anaesthetics have changed since then, and now it is safe to anaesthetise a hamster, mouse, bird, reptile - as well as wildlife... all very fragile creatures with a lot less body fat than the majority of dogs.

Originally Posted by bijou
- fantastic pic of Bijou roaching -

Originally Posted by Tass View Post
No, I have very, very rarely seen mine in that pose
Merlin might only be 50% Belgian, but I can assure you he spends 75% of his life upside-down!!!

@ 9 wks (his first day with me)

@ 6yrs old

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post

Merlin might only be 50% Belgian, but I can assure you he spends 75% of his life upside-down!!!

@ 9 wks (his first day with me)

@ 6yrs old

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!
Clearly Merlin and Bijou's dog have more Australian genes than mine did
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Hmmmm - does this mean that the Belgian Shepherds and Tibetan Mastiff fall into the same ancient 'cucaracha' group of canines?

chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 02:00 PM
And Tibetan Spaniels as well?

Most nights Chloe sleeps on her back with her front paws crossed over her chest and her hind legs straight out. It's the nearest she ever gets to looking angelic!
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
And Tibetan Spaniels as well?

Most nights Chloe sleeps on her back with her front paws crossed over her chest and her hind legs straight out. It's the nearest she ever gets to looking angelic!
Naturally the Tibbies are in the same group. I reckon it stems from a need to keep those little bald bellies off cold stone floors... or in the Tibbie's case, any rough gold threads on their embroidered silk brocade cushions.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >