View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 04:42 AM
Can you not train for this? One of two people that Tupac can learn are ok to come into the house alone?
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I have this problem now with my latest rescue, I have two friends with whom he is fine so if I am rushed in to hospital its not such a problem. My big worry is if I fall in the house he won't let the ambulance men in to help me. (All my others have) & I can see times when I have to stay on the floor till such time as I can get one of these friends, neither of whom are within walking distance to come & shut him away
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 12:24 PM
If this sort of situation arises the ambulance normally call the police and they send a dog handler.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Is he a trained protection dog or something? Or just fearful/protective?

I know at least two people on another forum who have trained and worked PPDs' and they're bomb proof around people. They will only attack on command of the owner so obviously that wouldn't be an issue.

If he has issues, then i agree that perhaps joining a schutzhund club would be beneficial and teaching him when his behaviour is and isn't acceptable.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 06:44 AM
I only have one dog that would kick up a fuss if someone new entered the house - the rest would happily let them walk in I think if something ever happened to me, if the ambulance had to come and get me - depending on how bad it was, I reckon Sadie would kick up a fuss about them touching me and moving me.

Louie would be useless He'd be standing all over my body - conscious or not, but I do think he would also kick up a fuss. He's not as bad as what a Sibe or a CsV is/would be but he has some stranger danger in there.

You could always put a full body suit in a shed next to your door and a sign on the window saying "wear this if entering" hehee.
Seriously, I would start training him now. I don't think a schutzhund club would help though. Being the type he is, wouldn't it be difficult (Not really up on CsV's sorry Layla)
I saw VS once help a couple out with a Dobe and a Terrier who were like this. She put bags of treats and toys outside and anyone new entering the house was to ignore the dog but to throw a toy/treats away from them so they learned that they got treats and toys when a stranger came. Would that work?
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I know...if i got to know Tupac i could look after him

Im not promising he would be there when you got back though

Seriously though its a good thought, im lucky i have family close and mum is always coming in and out when she picks the kids up from school but it would be a worry if it wasn't the case
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 12:05 PM
When I last fell in the house & the ambulance people came they came in with the keys from the key safe & my bitch jumped over me prone on the floor to show them where her treat pot was.
Current old boy though, he's about 10/11 we think, was found roaming the streets with a chain round his neck & dragging behind him. Think he may have been used as a chained up guard dog. He's got very protective of me & I shut him away when the district nurses come. He may be OK but I just wouldn't like to risk it. Am working on him but its taken a year to house train him & he's still not perfect so I'd rather be safe than sorry with people coming in,
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
Is he a trained protection dog or something? Or just fearful/protective?

I know at least two people on another forum who have trained and worked PPDs' and they're bomb proof around people. They will only attack on command of the owner so obviously that wouldn't be an issue.

If he has issues, then i agree that perhaps joining a schutzhund club would be beneficial and teaching him when his behaviour is and isn't acceptable.
no he does not have 'issues' what gave you that idea? by that i guess u do not know much about csv's?

csv's were bred for border patrol and to mainly work alone.

what guarding my house when im not there isnt acceptable

i am looking into schutzund with him anyway as i think it is something we would both enjoy.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I only have one dog that would kick up a fuss if someone new entered the house - the rest would happily let them walk in I think if something ever happened to me, if the ambulance had to come and get me - depending on how bad it was, I reckon Sadie would kick up a fuss about them touching me and moving me.

Louie would be useless He'd be standing all over my body - conscious or not, but I do think he would also kick up a fuss. He's not as bad as what a Sibe or a CsV is/would be but he has some stranger danger in there.

You could always put a full body suit in a shed next to your door and a sign on the window saying "wear this if entering" hehee.
Seriously, I would start training him now. I don't think a schutzhund club would help though. Being the type he is, wouldn't it be difficult (Not really up on CsV's sorry Layla)
I saw VS once help a couple out with a Dobe and a Terrier who were like this. She put bags of treats and toys outside and anyone new entering the house was to ignore the dog but to throw a toy/treats away from them so they learned that they got treats and toys when a stranger came. Would that work?
..you get me wrong....i do not have an issue or an out of control dog..he would be doing what he should do if i was not there.
also strangers chucking treats when im not there would defo not cut the mustard.
why wouldnt a schutzhund club be able to help? i feel maybe in this country they would be the only ones that may understand the predicament.

btw... sibes would help any intruder in and show where the best stuff is lol
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Can you not train for this? One of two people that Tupac can learn are ok to come into the house alone?
yes but what if these two peeps was not available?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >