Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
arthur. d.
New Member!
Male 

22-01-2011, 06:49 PM

Thoughts please on dog sharing!

hi all, hope someone can put my mind at rest, a good friend of mine who lives on his own and is also a dog lover has asked to share my dog (the dog knows him very well: this is the situation, to cut a long story short my staff bitch is 4 years old and has known my mate since she was a pup, he has always looked after her when my wife and i go on holiday or weekends away ( would never use kennels) my work shift pattern has changed meaning the dog would be on her own for up to 8 hours a day and i dont think this is fair on the dog, so my mate who has a different shift pattern to myself suggested that he has the dog for 3 or 4 days a week and vice versa,(so the dog always has 24/7 human comanionship, and someone to take her for walks) we have been doing this now for about 4 months and the dog seems quite happy to go with him when required and equally happy to see me when she comes back, but i am slightly concerned about any physcological effects it may have on her if any, your thoughts would be appreciated.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Staffords by nature are quite adaptable dogs,if the current situation is working well and your dog seems fine then carry on with it.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Can't imagine any major problems, good outcome I would think
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 07:37 PM
If the dog seems happy and not showing any stress then I wouldn't have thought a problem. Much better than leaving her for 8 hours ,especially as she is still young
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 07:51 PM
If you/friends and your dog are all happy then is good thing. I know a dog who spends time between two folk(after relationship break up) but seems fine with it all. Good luck with everything n hope works out well for you all
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 07:53 PM
If she is happy and fine with you both, I shouldnt see what the problem is. Its far better than leaving her for all them hours like you say - so can only be a good thing.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Sounds to me like a great solution to a very common dilemma.

It also sounds like your dog has no problems with the arrangements either.

Couldn't be better, in my opinion

Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I agree with everyone else, if the dog is happy then it sounds like you have found the perfect solution to making sure your dog isn't left alone
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 08:43 PM
The key thing is that your dog now has company, which is far better than if she was left alone for hours at a time.

Last year I looked after a friend's Labrador; she had started a new job which meant for days at a time there was nobody to walk or look after her dog.

He's a 9 year old Labrador and he would come and stay with me for several days and nights every week. I loved it and he and I grew very attached to each other. It didn't have any negative impact on his bond with his actual owner though

The only time I think there would be a problem is if you and your friend are using different commands for the dog, or have different rules around your homes. But as long as you're both on the same page and as long as your dog seems healthy and happy, don't fret - be glad your dog has company
Greyhoundlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2011, 08:44 PM
If all 3 are happy, which they seem to be - go for it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >