Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
A question from someone who hasn't been in years, do stalls/shops etc only take cash or can you pay be debit or credit card? If the latter I may have to sell the family home after visiting..
Yes they take all sorts of plastic so you best sort out the for sale sign then
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Crossed wires here, I think.

I should've said that I meant trolley bag type things.

But yes, the folding trolleys are especially good if you're showing dogs and have somewhere to leave it, before using it for transportation of bags etc at the end of the day.
Yes I have seen those,mine is just a frame that folds flat and is light weight,you can pick it up by one finger but it is very sturdy,I would be lost without it.
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Also, shop around if you can (or if you want to) for specific brands. Some stands will have the same things as other stands, such as collars and leads that are identical, but can and do vary in price by around a few pounds.
Last yr I bought some leather leads,on one stall they were£36 but I bought the same lead from Petneeds for £10!,not a bad price difference for the exact same lead. It pays to shop around.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Oh dear, think I'll be buying some form of dog kennel/house for ME to live in after selling the house. I'm sure there can't be THAT much I can buy...he says whilst thinking of what the pups could do with.
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Re the Discover Dogs observation, I said don't expect 'everyone' to be polite - not don't expect 'anyone' to be polite I have no doubt that lots of people work incredibly hard - but what is unfair about saying that not everyone does? I've had some really great conversations at DD, but I'm not going to pretend it's all great - coz it isn't.

I know there are a lot or really well-run stands with very friendly and enthusiastic people, but equally, I have also encountered some very rude, disinterested people and dogs that were clearly not enjoying the experience at all. I do understand that these things depend on volunteers and they have to take what they can get to an extent, but if a dog is clearly miserable, surely its welfare comes first?

I used to think that only someone really passionate about sharing their knowledge would volunteer - after all, it is a long day - but just because a lot of people are absolutely lovely, there are quite a few who are not and especially if you have fought through crowds to see a particular breed, it can be a real let-down if the person on the stand just does not seem to want to talk to you.

I've been cut dead when someone the breed person knew came by: ordered to stroke a dog that was clearly miserable and definietly not looking for a stroke (I declined politely and the person said 'suit yourself' and went back to their newspaper!) and felt really miserable when I excitedly told someone on one stall about a friend's dog that had reached a very high standard of training, only for her to say 'who bred it' followed by a big eye-roll and a loud sigh - before she turned her back on me.

Since when has being an 'expert' given anyone the right to be so ignorant? I think it is actually letting down all those people who do take part willingly and with enthusiasm and who genuinely want to share their passion for their breed.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Oh dear, think I'll be buying some form of dog kennel/house for ME to live in after selling the house. I'm sure there can't be THAT much I can buy...he says whilst thinking of what the pups could do with.
There is.... I bet you'll come home with more stuff that you ever thought possible!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Kanie View Post
Re the Discover Dogs observation, I said don't expect 'everyone' to be polite - not don't expect 'anyone' to be polite I have no doubt that lots of people work incredibly hard - but what is unfair about saying that not everyone does? I've had some really great conversations at DD, but I'm not going to pretend it's all great - coz it isn't.

I know there are a lot or really well-run stands with very friendly and enthusiastic people, but equally, I have also encountered some very rude, disinterested people and dogs that were clearly not enjoying the experience at all. I do understand that these things depend on volunteers and they have to take what they can get to an extent, but if a dog is clearly miserable, surely its welfare comes first?

I used to think that only someone really passionate about sharing their knowledge would volunteer - after all, it is a long day - but just because a lot of people are absolutely lovely, there are quite a few who are not and especially if you have fought through crowds to see a particular breed, it can be a real let-down if the person on the stand just does not seem to want to talk to you.

I've been cut dead when someone the breed person knew came by: ordered to stroke a dog that was clearly miserable and definietly not looking for a stroke (I declined politely and the person said 'suit yourself' and went back to their newspaper!) and felt really miserable when I excitedly told someone on one stall about a friend's dog that had reached a very high standard of training, only for her to say 'who bred it' followed by a big eye-roll and a loud sigh - before she turned her back on me.

Since when has being an 'expert' given anyone the right to be so ignorant? I think it is actually letting down all those people who do take part willingly and with enthusiasm and who genuinely want to share their passion for their breed.
Sorry, I must've misinterpreted what you said.

Yes, what you have described is clearly ignorant, given than they are working within a public area and like you, I also probably wouldn't choose to stroke a dog that clearly wasn't happy. I also would back off and leave the dog alone and I also think the dog's welfare should come first, so I repect your views regarding that.
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Oh boy are you in for a surprise .Think you can buy just about anything bar the kitchen sink
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:35 PM
As far as food and drink is concerned I always have drinks insmall cartons easily disposed of and you dont have to drink a whole can at once, I dont put my food in any sort of lunch box i wrap it in foil easily disposed of, therefore more room in your bag for treasures, always a spare pair of shoes,oh yes I always take loo roll.....
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
As far as food and drink is concerned I always have drinks insmall cartons easily disposed of and you dont have to drink a whole can at once, I dont put my food in any sort of lunch box i wrap it in foil easily disposed of, therefore more room in your bag for treasures, always a spare pair of shoes,oh yes I always take loo roll.....
Thanks for the reminder about loo rolls!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >