Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by fluffybunnyfeet View Post
The problem lies within breed standards and judging, if you proclaim the freaky dog the winner then more will follow.
However not all genetic issues are visible to the naked eye, how would a judge know if a dog had HC or VWD?
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
If a breeder is prepared to breed from a dog that has a genetic disorder, not allowing them to show wont make any difference IMO they will still continue to breed

Mo
I don't agree Mo, showing is often about stud dogs and the like and being top of the heap, the dog version of willy waving.
Tail docking ban has drastically reduced the breeders within the lines of Dobermans, Banning the showing of genetically challenged (Must be the politically correct term ) would stop many established but blinkered breeders from continuing imo.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
However not all genetic issues are visible to the naked eye, how would a judge know if a dog had HC or VWD?
There is a test to see the susceptibility for VWD.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
IE we should take our dog's health tests into ring or better still have them in the catalogue? Yes?
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:42 PM
In certain light conditions it is possible to see the cataracts in HC, plus if it has started to fully develop the pupil will remain wide open so is noticible.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Yes I know, however what I am saying is that how will a judge know if that dog is affected for a certain inherited condition and thus isn't 'healthy' and 'fit for purpose'?
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
In certain light conditions it is possible to see the cataracts in HC, plus if it has started to fully develop the pupil will remain wide open so is noticible.
However a judge isn't a qualified opthamologist - they wouldn't know if what they were seeing was a hereditary or non-hereditary cataract (if the light conditions allowed them to see anything at all).

Don't get me wrong - I think it could be a good idea for dogs with major genetic issues to be prevented from showing (as a lot of breeders use their dogs successes to sell pups and in preventing them from campaining dogs that are affected for an inherited condition, hopefully they would not then go on to use that dog in their breeding program) but I think it would be very hard to implemtent - what genetic conditions do you draw the line at?
Skyespirit86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Remember anyone who missed it or wants to watch it again, can watch it by going here to bbc iplayer. If you download the bbc iplayer programme you can download the programme and save it to rewatch at another time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00d4ljk/b00d4l8y/
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Yes if the KNOWINGLY bred from a dog with a genetic disorder> edited to say I would prefer they be ordered to spey/neuter rather than banning them from owning dogs, otherwise the dogs they own would need rehoming.

Mo
If breeders are such a lowlife to breed from a dog with a disease then they would probably rehome them anyway as they wouldnt be bringing the ££££ in.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
IE we should take our dog's health tests into ring or better still have them in the catalogue? Yes?
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Yes I know, however what I am saying is that how will a judge know if that dog is affected for a certain inherited condition and thus isn't 'healthy' and 'fit for purpose'?
I am saying that if there is reason to believe that there is an inherited condition in a dog, then if there is a test available, it should be performed. If that test is positive and it is for a hereditary disease, that dog should not be bred from.

If there is a catalogue of diseases for show dogs then it should be updated and adhered to. Sorry if I am ignorant but my dog is 'just' a pet.

To me nothing is more important than health.
Page 13 of 65 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 63 > Last »