Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 04:46 PM

Help - Possible Bloat???

Hi guys,

I've just noticed that Willow's belly is looking a little swollen and feeling a bit harder than usual.
She has vomited a 3 times since the new dog, Archie, has arrived. I had just put this down to stress.
They haven't been fed in ages, but have been chewing on bones inbetween playing with each other.

I'm going to ring the vet shortly for advice, but what do you guys suggest. Do you think it's bloat or something else?
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 04:48 PM
If you think it may be bloat you should ring the vet immediately. Usually they don't produce anything when vomitting however if you are thinking bloat - ring the vet straight away. Good Luck, I hope it is something less serious.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 04:49 PM
If you are worried about bloat, go to the vets NOW.
If it turns out not be be, then thats great, but if it is, you need to act quickly.

Good luck
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Her breathing is 32 inhalations per minute, btw
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 04:52 PM
I would get straight to the vet if you in any way worried about bloat. Hopefully its just all the excitement of having Archie home but you can't be too careful where bloat is concerned
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 04:54 PM
I've rang the vet and discribed the symtoms. They sais to bring her in after 6pm
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi Evie,
When Alfie had bloat he was trying to vomit, then brought up all this slime and although he looked slightly bloated the vomiting brought him back to his normal size.
He was at the vets within 20 minutes of me finding him like it and they put him on a drip, just in case it was bloat. I was told to come home and wait by the phone but the phone was ringing as I walked through the door to say he had bloated again and they were operating.
He didn't have any bouts of swelling prior to this but I do have a friend whose Irish Setter bitch had bloat a few weeks later and she had episodes of bloating prior to that.
I think the advice given already is spot on, I don't want to frighten you but in view of the speed that this can kill I would not waste any time in getting Willow to the vet, just in case.
I pray it is a false alarm. x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 04:55 PM
That would be my advice too!!! You only have 20 minutes for bloat, they HAVE to open them up!!! Good luck, at the very least, phone him NOW please!
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2006, 04:57 PM
If it is bloat time is crucial and she should be taken to a vets for immediate treatment, the vets cant be too concerned it is bloat or they would have told you to bring her straight in, but keep a really close eye on her and if her condition worsens at all, or her stomach seems to be getting bigger or your concerned at all take her straight to the vets beter safe then sorry especially with bloat!!!!

Hope shes ok, and back to her normal self soon!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Hope she is ok,we keep Gaviscon in the cupboard as advised by our breeder tsp of that if you are worried gives them a few more vital minutes while getting to the vets.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »