View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 10:54 AM
What you do would not be easy for me and computers have been in my life for about 30 years!

So I guessed correctly that, as with the Picasa/PicasaWeb stuff, you were confusing GOOGLE accounts with GMAIL accounts!

I don't know anyone else at all that uses that many email accounts!

Martin is a computer genius compared with me and does all his work on his own laptop and he, like me, uses one Gmail email address for everything and 'contact forms'. I even run my boss's pro merchant seller Amazon account on my same single Gmail addie (and my own customer Amazon accounts and Kindle and my Adroid app accounts and bookface!) Whole family does the same but then we all have our names as our email address - I don't think it would look very professional to be called something like Bellasmum or Sexyhotlips or waddever for business emails.

There are many forums who will not allow you to sign up with Hotmail or Yahoo email addresses. Can't think why you need those in addition to all the gmail ones!

I suppose someone recommended it to you back when - hope you're not still taking techie advice from them! Must be tricky for you when Google keeps asking you to resign in to confirm account details to preserve integrity of security!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-09-2013, 11:16 AM
I have one Hotmail and one Yahoo email address from when Effie built my first computer. I do not use them but still have them as I see no point in deleting them. Do not forget this was when I knew absolutely nothing about how computers worked - it even took me two weeks before I dared send an email!

And TBH I still do not know what the difference is between Google accounts and Gmail accounts, as I only use Gmail email addresses.

As for my Gmail email addresses, Google has never asked me to re-sign in to confirm my account details. For what I use them, there is no need as nothing secure is on them.

I do not do online banking. I do not do online payments for my credit cards, and I do not use my computer for anything that might compromise me. And I definitely do not use it for business purposes.

I am very satisfied with the security I have on my computer, and the only advice I have ever taken is from Effie, who builds and looks after my computer, and who is a qualified and certified Microsoft engineer and trainer. Nobody else ever touches my computer or gives me advice.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Surprised a certified microsoft engineer recommends hotmail or yahoo Malka. Or why he didn't set you up with the email that comes with all windows computers? Or the one provided by your ISP? I haven't got an 'effie' but then I don't get lots of problems that someone like effie would have to sort out for me.

It is because you use your computer for so little I am surprised that you have so many different email accounts.

And the confusion about the Gmail vs Google was created by you saying about all your 'google' accounts and how you'd have to associate Picasa with one of them.

That's when I sort of guessed you were not talking about a google account but talking about lots of email accounts.

The whole point of all this is OP wanted WEB STORAGE. You recommended something that is not web storage. I wanted to put them right and explain and suggest something that is. I think that's been covered now.

Was only your further going on to say why you won't use what I recommended and talking about lots of google accounts that led here.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Effie did not set me up with Hotmail or Yahoo. All he did was get my IP email address for me, and set my computer up for Thunderbird for that email address, and Firefox for my browser. And his name is actually Effie. He is the son-in-law of ex South Africans I have known for nearly 28 years now. The rest I learned by trial and error.

I have different email accounts - email addresses - because I want them. And each one has folders for various people/subjects. My choice to make like easier for me. And it works for me. I came to computer use late in life with not even one lesson, but I do not think I have done too badly. But then I am only a computer user for recreation, not for work.

Regarding Web Storage, I have already apologised to you for not understanding the difference between Picasa 3 and Picasa Web Albums. Because I have no need for the latter as just a recreational computer/photograph user. I do not know what you mean by I am not using what you recommended as I do not know what you recommended. I am not an expert computer user as you are.

I just know what works for me, and what I am happy and confident to do, and if I wish to use a number of different email addresses to make life easier for me, then I do not understand what the problem is.

For me, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Thank you again for all your help.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3