Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 09:25 AM

One for all the Twins out there!!!

Inspired by youngstevies recent announcement thread (didn't want to hijack) I didn't realise there were so many twins on here! I've only known a couple of other twins in my life, so nice to see some more on here!
Also, I thought it would be nice to maybe share some pictures of our twins and see who looks most alike!!!
I have a twin sister called Natalie. She was born 14 minutes before me (and she never let me forget it! ) and we've always been very close. We have 4 younger siblings (another sister, then 3 boys) and we're still close to this day. We are in contact most days

Now a picture or 2, you're welcome to guess which is me, ha ha!

As babies with our parents, back in 85

As children

As young adults (2007)

Anyone else want to share their twin stories/pictures! I'm so excited to know so many more out there! A prize (not really) to anyone who can guess who's me...a 50/50 chance as most of you haven't met me (and I deliberately included pictures without my glasses as that makes it too easy )
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Lovely pictures.

My mother is a twin and twin girls run in my family and have done for many years so, if it carries on the way it has been, then I would be next to have twins! Yikes! No thanks! Even more of a reason for me NOT to want to reproduce! I don't want one kid, let alone two!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Lovely pictures.

My mother is a twin and twin girls run in my family and have done for many years so, if it carries on the way it has been, then I would be next to have twins! Yikes! No thanks! Even more of a reason for me NOT to want to reproduce! I don't want one kid, let alone two!
Blimey! What kind of twins? Identical or fraternal? I wouldn't mind having twins, would be interesting!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm a twin I was born 5 mins after my sister and we are VERY close. I was terrified when I was pregnant, that I would be having twins! lol

Helen
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Im not a twin...wouldnt particularly want twins either lol....

I think your the twin on the right
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I do have a lot of ancient photos of my twin and I [well we are rather ancient now] but they are in a box on top of one of my cupboards in amongst zillions of ancient family photographs, and until someone can get them down for me...

...I would then have to scan them onto my computer, which is something I have no idea how to do...

...so in the meantime let me just say that my twin and I are fraternal twins, not identical, and she was born one hour before I was. It is written on our birth certificates as for multiple births the time is always written, unlike for singletons.

Do I like being a twin? Now? It is difficult to say and yet I cannot imaging being a singleton, even though my twin and I are two continents apart and have been for many years, and are unlikely to ever see each other again. We were very close until our mid teens but then sort of grew apart after that, each going towards a totally different walk of life to the other.

|But we are still twinsies, and once a twin always a twin.

I cannot talk about when "I" was young or when "I" went to school, because I am a twin, so it was, still is, and no doubt will always be when "we" were young, when "we" went to school.

Because once a twin, always a twin.

My daughter was a twin in utero but her twin died at about 18 weeks gestation. They also would have been fraternal and not identical though.

As for which twin is you, Insomnia, as I do not know you and have never met you I would not even dare to make a guess!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Blimey! What kind of twins? Identical or fraternal? I wouldn't mind having twins, would be interesting!
Non-identical and couldn't be more different! Runs through my granny's side - skips one generation and twins are always female. Therefore, genetically I should be next but there are never any guarantees (not that I want it to be!).

My mother's twin was the laziest and was last to walk etc and when they went to school my granny insisted they were in seperate classes as they were as thick as thieves then and it wouldn't have done either of them any good to be in the same class through primary school.

They weren't dressed the same either - they may have been (are) twins, but they were still two different people and independence should be encouraged.

I never wanted to be a twin and don't want twins either!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

18-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
...[snip]...My mother's twin was the laziest and was last to walk etc
Hah - sounds oh so familiar! Apparently I walked at the age of 10 months but my twin, the older one, used to sit on a wooden pull along thing our father made [this was during WWII when "proper" toys were not available so he cobbled together bits of any wood he could find, and wheels from somewhere...] and I would try to pull her along.

I have a photograph of us - me standing [nappy falling down] and twin plonked in/on this pull along thing.

Talk? I guess we were like many twins. We had our own "language". Even when we were at grammar school and separated, much to our displeasure, we designed a code to write on blackboards everywhere, to leave messages for the other one.

Used to frustrate the various school mistresses no end, especially the Latin one who was convinced we were leaving messages written in Greek!

No, not Greek. Not anything. Just odd symbols and shapes we had made up ourselves, because twinsies are twinsies and when they are bonded they are as one.

Unfortunately the bond between my twin and I unraveled, but she is still my twin and I will always be one half of a set of twins. And it will always be "us" when thinking and talking of the past.

Bless twins whoever and wherever they may be.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2011, 09:37 PM
My mum was an identical twin---that sort is not inherited. My ex husbands family is full of twins---non identical which are passed through the female line.

Weirdly both of his non identical twin brothers have twins---one through IVF the other naturally. The sister also has non identical twins.

The tendency to drop two eggs is inherited---a split egg is an accident.

rune
Meg
Supervisor

18-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Anyone else want to share their twin stories/pictures! I'm so excited to know so many more out there! A prize (not really) to anyone who can guess who's me...a 50/50 chance as most of you haven't met me (and I deliberately included pictures without my glasses as that makes it too easy )
Lovely pictures Melanie
My mother was an identical twin but I never knew her, she died when I was a baby but I knew what she looked like

These are my twin grandchildren Eleanor and Barnaby now aged 16 months
Learning don't touch...

First birthday..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >