Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2011, 04:45 PM

Excessive panting

Pereg tends to have irrational behaviour some evenings, pacing, demanding, and heavy panting - which are sometimes, but not always, a sign of a complex partial seizure or possibly a fore-warning of one.

Usually we cope - I can calm her or, on the rare occasion it is really necessary, I give her an additional dose of 25mg Pb - with the full knowledge and approval of my Vet.

But yesterday evening after we went to bed, and she is very happy when I say "bed" and rushes in to leap up and try to take up as much room as possible, she kept having heavy panting spells.

She was not over hot, all three windows in the bedroom were open and it was nowhere near necessary to put the air-conditioning on. She could also get to her water dish as and when necessary. If I had thought she was over-heated of course I would have put the a/c on but she was not hot - just panting heavily.

It was not a cps, she was not thirsty or hungry, and was quite relaxed on the bed. Just panting and making the bed shake.

And it worried me and still does, even though she finally went to sleep and was still sleeping when I had to try to clamber over her this morning. Much to her annoyance at being disturbed, and she has been absolutely fine today so far.

So why the panting last night? It worried and frightened me, and surely if she was too hot, which seems a bit strange, she could easily have moved?

I frequently do not know what is the best thing to do for her, but why was she panting so heavily when she was not over-heated or thirsty?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 04:55 PM
..does she need the toilet?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

06-06-2011, 05:20 PM
No - the door is open all day and evening until we go to bed and she goes out and comes in when she wants. If she is in before I say it is bedtime [and she knows because it is computer switched off and covered, spectacles off and in their case etc] she goes out for a final pee and poo.

And if she needs to go in the night well she does. On the door mat just inside the front [only] door as she knows there is no way I can get up to go through the bungalow to let her out. Does not happen very often though and does not worry me - and this panting started last night within minutes of going to bed, very shortly after she had done her final p&p,

When she is having an "odd" evening episode, which might or might not be/turn into a cps, she paces and nags and cries and pants, but when the episode is over it is over. And when I say "bed" she is only too ready to rush through and jump on the bed daring me to ask her to shift so I have room to get in.

She lies one side of me, gets her cuddle and mantra, then shifts to the other side to let me get comfortable. And usually that's it. One zonked out dog.

Only last night she just kept panting and panting and the bed was shaking but she seemed relaxed and it definitely was not a cps. In fact I do not think she even realised she was panting so much, so maybe it was a minor cps after all?

I switched on the torch I keep under my pillow [no bedside light] and she looked fine, just lifted her head as if to say What on earth are you doing, and eventually went to sleep.

But she did not feel hot and it definitely was not too hot in the bedroom.

Maybe I am just over-reacting because of her epilepsy?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 08:43 PM
If it happens again try sponging her down with tepid water, letting her dry naturally & put the fan on her - let it oscilate - not blowing straight/directly on her. Panting can be a sign of many things

It might be an idea to mention it to your vet
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Is it the heat though? Are there maybe things which frighten her which we don't hear or sense. Our boy had the same and never found out what it was as it only happened like once every couple of weeks. Their senses are so great that maybe there is something going on which we don't know of..... But if it happens more often, have her checked out, could have a problem with her bowels or urinary tract..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
If it happens again try sponging her down with tepid water, letting her dry naturally & put the fan on her - let it oscilate - not blowing straight/directly on her. Panting can be a sign of many thingsIt might be an idea to mention it to your vet
I'd agree with that. She could be in slight pain somewhere perhaps, medication can cause it, lots of things, even bloat, but mostly pain. My old boy is like this but he has cushings which overnight panting is one of the symptoms even if it's not hot. My youngster pants at night when it's time for me to go to bed, don't ask me why, but she pants and pesters me for food, follows me around, gets a few treats for bedtime, and still pants, but stops the minute I go upstairs to bed, she settles down in the lounge with hubby, all very strange.

Don't always point it to her condition, coz it really can point to a number of things, just see how she goes. What about taking her temperature when she's doing the panting if you're really worried and if it's normal, perhaps there's not a lot to worry about? Good luck anyway, sorry I don't have any bright ideas.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

07-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I spoke with my Vet this morning and he said that it could have been a very minor episode, but the fact that she was relaxed while panting and settled after I had checked her was nothing I should worry about. Just make a note of it in her epi diary to see if it happens again and if so whether there was any similarity/behaviour pattern prior to it.

She definitely was not in pain and even though I did not take her temperature she felt fairly cool - not the slightest bit over-heated.

As the Vet said, it really was nothing to worry about, but to put it in her diary, which I did. I guess I am possibly looking for trouble at times so the slightest change in behavioural patterns start me worrying.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. I spoke with my Vet this morning and he said that it could have been a very minor episode, but the fact that she was relaxed while panting and settled after I had checked her was nothing I should worry about. Just make a note of it in her epi diary to see if it happens again and if so whether there was any similarity/behaviour pattern prior to it.

She definitely was not in pain and even though I did not take her temperature she felt fairly cool - not the slightest bit over-heated.

As the Vet said, it really was nothing to worry about, but to put it in her diary, which I did. I guess I am possibly looking for trouble at times so the slightest change in behavioural patterns start me worrying.
Oh I can relate to that!! I think we do, we tend to overworry when our dogs have a condition as such, but then that isn't a bad thing is it, to be on the ball for any sudden changes! My husband is forever telling me off for constantly asking if my dog's breathing alright, sleeping on her side panting or whatever, it's called being a responsible owner when your dog is already having some problems! Good luck, glad you've now spoken to the vet, you can't do much more can you.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Glad to hear all is well xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

07-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Just me panicking as usual - I was probably the same when my children were little!

After years of only seeing my Vet for yearly shots [and the girls being spayed], it seems that I have now been phoning him nearly every week for the last two months - luckily he is a very nice person and extremely patient with me.