Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Does they look like this?

Milo is a farm collie. I saw his dam but not his sire although I was assured it was the 'collie up the road'. Milo just kept growing and growing and has many lurcher-type traits. I am constantly asked what he is crossed with and I just have to assume there is some sighthound in there from somewhere!
Similar to the dog on its own, but some are even worse, I mean long sweeping stifles, long pointy noses etc..

I love the pic of yours all in a line.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
It may well not have short legs, the coat is deceptive. It may well not be domed in the head either, it does appear to have low set ears, that would give that impression. Id like to get my hands on it, but I totally agree with you about the way it looks.
Yes I agree in that one it is possible, but in the photograph below it (sorry it is so small!) the side on view of the other dog his back is clearly much longer then the dog is tall

Yup the coat on all these dogs are hiding things so it is difficult to talk about but I watched the videos from westminster that year and the dogs also walk funny - kind of rolling more like a sheltie
and (I dont know the correct terms or anything here) they seem to have much flatter stiffer backs than the normal collies you see - they just dont seem to agile

But yup that is America - I am just worried that might be where our dogs are going and I hope not!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I love the pic of yours all in a line.
Thank you! They just do that automatically! I wonder if it's an indication of rank within the pack? It's not quite in age order. Mind you, it was taken before I got the latest one, now 15 months, and I really don't think she would have been at the back - more like running round and round them in circles!
Nugga
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I've got to admit I don't like watching it on TV but I've been to crufts and loved it, I'm not a shower, but its the atmosphere and meeting all the dogs that I liked
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Check out the dogs on this page
http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museu...rEyeColor.html
infact I think you will love the whole site - so many different colours and looks - every one a collie
v few who would make it in a show ring
Thanks so much for that link.....so many gorgeous dogs........lots who look like Fudge too!

I think it is fantastic that there is so much variation in coat length,ear position and colouration.

I would hate for the collie to become a breed where the more commonly known black and whites become the only recognised breed standard.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Thanks so much for that link.....so many gorgeous dogs........lots who look like Fudge too!

I think it is fantastic that there is so much variation in coat length,ear position and colouration.

I would hate for the collie to become a breed where the more commonly known black and whites become the only recognised breed standard.
I beg to differ, there isn't one as pretty as Fudge
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I beg to differ, there isn't one as pretty as Fudge
agreed but i do love to see the great vatiations in looks, but everyone (to me) still looks like a collie
and its funny I havent seen a single working collie who I couldnt live with the looks of
But some of the show collies just dont do it for me - they may be black and white and been bred for looks - but they just dont have that spark that takes my breath away
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I am not aware of any other breed .............. as many acceptable ear sets
Only two earsets allowed in the standard

"Erect or semi-erect" sadly most show BCs have tipped ears

Keewee's dad has "erect"ears & her mum"semi erect" ears & neither has a single KC only dog in their make up

*Allowing people convicted of animal cruelty to judge.
*Allowing people convicted of animal cruelty to win categories.
Oh please anyone who has a conviction for animal cruelty is banned by the KC from any canine activities as soon as they are convicted & any future appointments/entries are cancelled.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Just to clear up one incorrect statement about the entries for Crufts

Back in the dim & distant past, any KC registered dog could be entered at Crufts & it was held over 2 days.

As the entries the show began to get overcrowded with dogs so the Crufts Qualifer was introduced & the show days increased from two upto the four it is today.

It moved from Olympia to Earls Court due to increasing entries & eventually ended up at the NEC.

When the Pet Travel scheme was brought in, the Crufts management decided for dogs from abroad to be shown at Crufts & not have to qualify in the UK first(there is a list on the Crufts sites), the KC brought in the ATC(Authority to Compete)for dogs resident & born abroad to be shown not just at Crufts but at any show licensed by the KC. exported dogs bred in the UK do not need an ATC.

There have never been any fears about the entries for Crufts falling dramatically-yes they flucuate from year to year, but never significantly. The entries at all UK general Championship shows dwarf the entries in any other countries in the world.

The entries in Europe(where every dog is vetted before admission to the show)are minute when compared to the UK entries.

Also back in those very same days, all dogs were vetted before admission to Championship Shows-not feasible today because of the numbers of dogs to be vetted. There are lengthy queues in Europe for the vetting procedure !
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 08:31 PM
No, thats where to see the best working Collies. Many working Collies look like mongrels. Many farmers dont care what they look like. Id say some of the best looking Collies that work Ive seen, are Moobli's. I reckon some of hers could compete in the ring too, now THAT is what a Collie should look like! Brains and beauty!
Why, thanks Dawn
Page 55 of 103 « First < 5 45 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 65 > Last »