Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Importance of Breed Traits in training and dealing with behaviourial issues

Another thread got me thinking about how the breed of dog might influence training and/or dealing with behavioural issues.

Of course in some cases it is the breed traits which lead to behaviour issues, so I wondered, particularly for those who are practising or studying towards becoming a behaviourist, how important is it to understand a particular breed when dealing with behaviourial issues?

And with mongrels do you (whether consciously or unconsciously) seek to identify the 'dominant' breed trate in order to help deal with the problelm?

Or is breed knowledge completely irrelevent as far as you are concerned?

And for trainers - same questions but in reference to training.

(others also welcome to contribute their thoughts)
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Interesting question
Personaly I would say the individual is more important than the breed

But I suppose you have to cut some slack for the individual breed - a beagle you would expect to take a little longer to learn a recall when its nose is down and for a greyhound you might not plan to use a sit as an alternative behaviour for something unwanted - unless the individual already has a good sit

Obviously some breeds are more prone to some things than others - but its not helpful to say Labs are generaly of a good temprament when dealing with someone who has an aggressive Lab

I guess breed might give you some pointers for ideas to deal with things - breeds with high prey drive you could divert with a ball, play scenting games with a scenting dog

But I think its lots to do with dealing with the individual and individual behaviour, finding out what floats the dogs boat, what it needs out of life

Thats my kinda 2p worth
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Hmmm Yes that is interesting. I have been thinking about this a bit recently after a recent reply to my thread about Bella chasing off after my son the other day.
I had never really thought too much about her breed charecteristics because she is a cross, and we are not 100% sure of her heritage LOL
BUT a lot of things she does could be considered quite "herding"(collie) and she does have a strong prey/chase drive (terrier) so that did make me think a bit more about why she might for example struggle with recall more incertain situations, and why she gets really stressed when the whole family is out walking if the kids run off indifferent directions (such a naughty flock!)and why she is totally ball obsessed!
Doesn't change anything really, and I still work with her as an individual...but maybe makes me think abot more about somethings....
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 02:04 PM
I agree with Ben M's reply. The important part is dealing with an individual dog's behavioural issues. Breed traits may give someone an understanding of the reasons for the herding/guarding/prey-chasing etc behaviours & for this reason may help provide alternative outlets or devise rehab programmes to take these drives into account. But with mongrels & crossbreeds it would be difficult to determine what behaviours would be prevalent & how extreme is the drive to satisfy those behaviours without actually observing & assessing the individual dog.

And with a lot of dogs who knows what breeds are in the genetic make up? We could only make an educated guess from physical appearance & behavioural traits
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Toro certainly has some querky breed traits, if I needed professional help with her I would certainly look for some one with knowledge of this breed first...
In Inkas case, half a brain, I would say yip if I needed help with him cause he doesn't train like a normal dog picks things up quick, he is almost like a learning difficulty dog, hes weird So if he did sommit out of character I would certainly look to people with N.I's and see if theirs do the same.
I don't think being a dog behaviourist can be generalised x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 03:12 PM
I think its a bit of each----you look at the breed traits and the individual.

Numbers of times you can tell the breed after hearing the problem----gobby GSD's, springers being possessive, collies traffic chasing, terriers being terriers!

Obviously a dog bred for guarding is likely to guard, a dog bred for chasing is likely to chase. A foxhound is unlikely to behave like a GSD. So of course breed comes into it.

rune
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 03:31 PM
From having 2 Akitas with completely, actually - opposite! characters and behaviours I really don't think that breed traits come always come into training or dealing with behavioural issues, their individual personality and background is more important..

Akita 'traits':
Keisha - high predatory drive, Zeke - none!
Keisha - territorial, Zeke - not at all!
Keisha - protective, Zeke - not at all!

Zeke is a big softey and Keisha is a bolshy monster!

I wouldn't dream of training or treating them the same way...
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Not sure if this a good answer or not but when I read this thread it made me think that if you have a breed with certain traits that you are aware of then you can plan training in advance to use those traits in a good way and so prevent behavioural problems forming from frustrations or at least allow them to do what is natural in a controlled and well mannered way instead of becoming a problem.

I do think that every dog should be treated as an individual and cross breeds would be more difficult as you have no idea what traits would be strongest.
anyway sorry if I have gone off topic a bit
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Breeds become known for different traits because it is common for members of the breed to display them. It is the mark of the inexperienced to expect all members of a breed to have the common traits. Yes, when I see a question about a Shepherd that won't ear, or a Lab that won't stop I am quick to assure the owner that is the way they are. However, I have had Labs that wouldn't eat, hated the water, barked, etc.

Yes, you need to be familiar with the traits of a breed, but be quick to recognize the exceptions. The most important thing is to observe the dog. This is why sometimes I suggest a private trainer. Somebody that knows dogs needs to see what is really happening.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Welshies are a really strange breed and they respond better to praise and gentle training. I think Shona had one in her class once, and realised they dont respond to traditional training methods.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >