register for free

Dog News

Brazil government accused of removing stray dogs

The Brazilian government has been accused by the animal welfare campaigners Humane Society International of rounding up and removing stray dogs in the build up to the World Cup.

It mirrors what happened in Russia before the Winter Olympics - in the run up to the games in Sochi up to 2,000 stray dogs were removed from the streets.

Officials in Brazil deny the removal of animals has taken place but campaigners say eyewitness accounts of dogs being seized are genuine.
Article and video report here...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-27893322

I do not think I should comment on this as the video report says it all.

Your comments and views:
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2014, 07:18 PM
It's unfortunate they can't treat and re-home the animals but there was probably nothing else the government could do with all those dogs so quickly. This is of course political so is a huge issue.

It's almost never the governments fault that dogs overpopulate towns and roam the streets so much. We know whose fault that is. That being said, there was probably nothing else they could do.

Brazil does not have many humane societies and places to house tons of stray dogs, which is why they are on the streets to begin with. Killing healthy street dogs is a negotiable subject itself.

I mean wandering dogs can be dangerous, regardless of how healthy they are. Also, it is not always possible to tell a healthy dog just by glancing at it. I see very few truly healthy looking street dogs where I'm from and can't fathom that there are tons in Brazil, either.

The problem lies far deeper than this possible killing of healthy dogs...
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2014, 07:20 AM
Funny is that they didn't think this would be necessary or a health risk to local people living there. It's only when the world's spotlight is on them that they're doing something about it, and they're just brushing it under the carpet, not really providing any solution. A bit like what the London government did with homeless people before the Olympics in 2012.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2014, 07:47 AM
It's not exactly surprising they used to do it to street kids.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top