Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AlanUK
New Member!
Male 

31-10-2008, 07:05 PM

Leather Choke Chain ??

hi to all im new here ,

anyhow im looking for a choker chain for my weirmerarner with a leather handle on it , i cant seem to find one anywhere ,
the one we had which has now snapped was bought from a pet store which has closed now , but my weirmerarer ( Faith ) used to walk really good on it and now nothing else seems to work .

so if anyone can help im after a medium - largish size link choker chain lead with a leather handle and about 27 - 32 " long ,

thanks very much ,

regards alan uk
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Why not try a half-check - they`re much kinder?
AlanUK
New Member!
Male 

31-10-2008, 08:16 PM
tried them , it dosnt work , she dosnt choke herself on the full choker , but i think she knows its there and walks better as a result .
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2008, 08:18 PM
http://www.accoladeleathercraft.com/#1X0

I use accolade... they will come and go with you with sizes and make things to order
AlanUK
New Member!
Male 

01-11-2008, 09:37 AM
they dont seem to have what im after , but thanks very much a useful site .
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2008, 09:51 AM
the one we had which has now snapped was bought from a pet store which has closed now , but my weirmerarer ( Faith ) used to walk really good on it and now nothing else seems to work .
tried them , it dosnt work , she dosnt choke herself on the full choker , but i think she knows its there and walks better as a result .

Hi Alan have you tried a choke chain around you neck, how does it feel? If you are using one purely because you do not wish your dog to pull there are harnesses around which will give you better control of Faith and they won't risk causing permanent damage to her neck and throat.
AlanUK
New Member!
Male 

01-11-2008, 10:17 AM
well i can tell you i have tried every single method , harnesses , half check muzzle ect and nothing works like a full choker , and i havnt tried a chain round my neck , but my mum had a rather nasty accident when the dog pulled her over and she whacked her head on the concrete and this will happen again if the dog isnt sorted , she walks fine on the full choker , she dosnt choke herself like i said but the fact that she knows it hurts when she pulls seems to stop her doing it . i absolutly love my dog to bits and she is the most looked after animal ever but the safty of my mother comes first .
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by AlanUK View Post
well i can tell you i have tried every single method , harnesses , half check muzzle ect and nothing works like a full choker , and i havnt tried a chain round my neck , but my mum had a rather nasty accident when the dog pulled her over and she whacked her head on the concrete and this will happen again if the dog isnt sorted , she walks fine on the full choker , she dosnt choke herself like i said but the fact that she knows it hurts when she pulls seems to stop her doing it . i absolutly love my dog to bits and she is the most looked after animal ever but the safty of my mother comes first .

There are loads of different types of harnesses and often it takes time to find one that works for your dog. I use a Halti harness on my dog Very large SBT cross) that has a d ring on the chest so they can't pull from that angle. It also uses the tellington touch body wrap hold which has a calming affect, i find it really works and i would have thought that a calming type thing would be no bad thing for a weimy.

As well as the halti harness, we, of course do daily training on not pulling on the lead, e.g. clicker training, marking and rewarding where we do what Tonks to walk.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2008, 11:27 AM
have you tried head collars. they are particularly good for your type of shaped dog - dobies/weims/labs

the canni collar works well
AlanUK
New Member!
Male 

01-11-2008, 11:29 AM
ok well ill check out the harness trhanks for the help ive tried a head harness but id got her really aggitated and was a trail even to get it on . thanks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >