Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
Actually I think your forum example reinforces myI argument not
Yours and Icould andwould explain further all those things you ask if ,just like Florence , you hadnt spoiled an otherwise fair post with all the silly judgmental statements about my posting instead of just concentrating on the content. so no, haven't dismissed anyone's opinions, I'm just not interested in those sorts of discussions. you both discouraged me
I'm sorry you found my opening line judgemental. However, I only stated my opinion and that is that a statement dismissing separation anxiety as something you don't have to worry about with your puppy is dangerous. People who are reading through threads might just pick up that comment and think they don't need to do anything as separation anxiety is rare, when it clearly is a very common problem among pet dogs. And if you ask any dog behaviourist, they'll probably tell you it's one of the most frequent problems people experience with dogs. And it's one of the most easily preventable issues, and one of the very difficult to cure.
I'm sorry you got discouraged but I don't think my post was aggressive or condescending in any way. In my opinion very wrong information was given and I felt the need to challenge it for the sake of novice dog owners who might read the thread, including the OP who asked about it.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I'm sorry you found my opening line judgemental. However, I only stated my opinion and that is that a statement dismissing separation anxiety as something you don't have to worry about with your puppy is dangerous. People who are reading through threads might just pick up that comment and think they don't need to do anything as separation anxiety is rare, when it clearly is a very common problem among pet dogs. And if you ask any dog behaviourist, they'll probably tell you it's one of the most frequent problems people experience with dogs. And it's one of the most easily preventable issues, and one of the very difficult to cure.
I'm sorry you got discouraged but I don't think my post was aggressive or condescending in any way. In my opinion very wrong information was given and I felt the need to challenge it for the sake of novice dog owners who might read the thread, including the OP who asked about it.
re your first sentence never. said that I think you are over thinking everything that wasn't my point I'm.also not responsible for what might be imagined to any adult that reads a random post on the internet that's a bit far fetched to be honest and you are stepping into the realms of politically correct thought policing myself their which I respect may be your philosophy but that ls not my cup of tea I'm afraid. for me its. just right v wrong and that just depends on if I actually directly said something properly obnoxious or dangerous as you put it, that's all. and like I said I'm all up for discussing actual content but my phone fingers aren't really motivated by all this personalising
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2013, 09:38 PM
I have never had a problem with separation anxiety in any of my dogs
Perhaps I have just been lucky but I believe for some dogs the problem starts when they are puppies, removed from their dam and forced to be alone in a strange place. This is when they first experience the real fear of being left alone .

This is one of the reasons I always have puppies with me at night in a box next to my bed and let them get used to being alone gradually when they have got over the initial shock of being separated from the dam and litter mates.
Described more fully here...

Crying puppy
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I have never had a problem with separation anxiety in any of my dogs
Perhaps I have just been lucky but I believe for some dogs the problem starts when they are puppies, removed from their dam and forced to be alone in a strange place. This is when they first experience the real fear of being left alone .

This is one of the reasons I always have puppies with me at night in a box next to my bed and let them get used to being alone gradually when they have got over the initial shock of being separated from the dam and litter mates.
Described more fully here...

Crying puppy

good post. . I would do the same
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 10:15 PM
good post. . I would do the same
That's what I thinks is best too... And what we did with Tonks. Well, we tried the high sided box but after her managing to get out numerous times, we dragged tge crate into the bedroom!

Remus sleeps in our room uncreated because he was already too big to be able to fit the crate in our room when we got him at 21 weeks old.

I'm staying at my parents now and the only place the crate will fit is in the bedroom I am in. So for the first tine since we got him he is crated. He went in with no protest and I'm hoping he stays that way. I'm wondering if, after a week crated in this room with me whether he'll accept being crated in the kitchen with Tonks when we get home.....I'm doubtful though!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2013, 09:34 AM
re your first sentence never. said that I think you are over thinking everything that wasn't my point I'm.also not responsible for what might be imagined to any adult that reads a random post on the internet that's a bit far fetched to be honest and you are stepping into the realms of politically correct thought policing myself their which I respect may be your philosophy but that ls not my cup of tea I'm afraid. for me its. just right v wrong and that just depends on if I actually directly said something properly obnoxious or dangerous as you put it, that's all. and like I said I'm all up for discussing actual content but my phone fingers aren't really motivated by all this personalising
Hey, seriously you're the one personalising it. All I did was to post a different opinion (one that I think is correct) to correct a post that I think might be misleading for others. Separation anxiety isn't an easily dismissed subject, especially in a thread where the OP asks exactly the right thing (meaning: how to prevent it in puppies, as it's easily done but not all people are dog savvy and know how, so very many dogs do end up with SA!).

I also NEVER said anything about being politically correct or that you might get in trouble for posting what you did or what my 'philosophy' might be, you made that up all by yourself.

So please, if you're so not interested in what I wrote in the first place, why respond at all?
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Sadly, seperation anxiety in dogs sure does exist

A few years ago I worked with a beautiful dog that had serious problems with being left alone, this dog had never been accustomed to being on her own as the wife was always at home with her, took her everywhere and they never properly trained this. Unfortunetly when the dog was a few years older Divorce had changed everything for this poor dog, the Husband had left and the wife found herself having to go out to work to support herself. The dog could not cope with being left alone, she cryed, howled, destroyed things and even started to self harm, the wife sadly was not in a position to give this dog what she needed with regards to training/rehabilitation, she could not afford a dog sitter and the stress was too much to bare. This dog was eventually rehomed with a new family who then proceeded to train her so that she could accept being left, it was a long hard road but the dog was eventually much better, the original owner was also able to keep in touch which was nice ending to this very sad story.

Making provisions and getting your pup used to being left is crucial when they are young, this is a very important life skill for them to learn so that they can be relaxed when you have to go out, I always recommend to new owners that even if you are in a situation where you don't have to leave your dog that often that you should still do it anyway..just so they can practise..My client only realised this when it was too late

Good luck with your new puppy...
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Hey, seriously you're the one personalising it. All I did was to post a different opinion (one that I think is correct) to correct a post that I think might be misleading for others. Separation anxiety isn't an easily dismissed subject, especially in a thread where the OP asks exactly the right thing (meaning: how to prevent it in puppies, as it's easily done but not all people are dog savvy and know how, so very many dogs do end up with SA!).

I also NEVER said anything about being politically correct or that you might get in trouble for posting what you did or what my 'philosophy' might be, you made that up all by yourself.

So please, if you're so not interested in what I wrote in the first place, why respond at all?
Because I keep hoping you will simply ask me straightforward questions about my ideas and actual content so as to just have a proper discussion without keeping throwing in thesepersonalised comments discussing how I discuss things. but doesn't appear to be working. pc reference referred to your odd idea that I am dangerous as someone might read my post and lo and behold their puppy is at risk! You just trying to thought police me - like is said why not just stick to content. its not fact I have misled anyone or I need "correcting" to save anonymous people in the ether, you are just presenting it that way when you opinion is just equal to mine. I think your ideas on SA are just as way off the Mark as you regard mine, so there you go then
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Because I keep hoping you will simply ask me straightforward questions about my ideas and actual content so as to just have a proper discussion without keeping throwing in thesepersonalised comments discussing how I discuss things. but doesn't appear to be working. pc reference referred to your odd idea that I am dangerous as someone might read my post and lo and behold their puppy is at risk! You just trying to thought police me - like is said why not just stick to content. its not fact I have misled anyone or I need "correcting" to save anonymous people in the ether, you are just presenting it that way when you opinion is just equal to mine. I think your ideas on SA are just as way off the Mark as you regard mine, so there you go then
Lol get a grip, that's all I can say. I'm trying to 'thought police you'.. yes of course. Right, I've said what I wanted to say about separation anxiety and I'll leave it at that.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Lol get a grip, that's all I can say. I'm trying to 'thought police you'.. yes of course. Right, I've said what I wanted to say about separation anxiety and I'll leave it at that.
Cool , although just to add I have never said SA doesnt exist or isn't something to be concerned about. maybe one day in a different life we will get to discuss my actual knowledge and thoughts upon SA as gained thru my own experience and studies on the subject with behaviourists , such as the difference between SA and separation related stress issues. In the meantime I will have to carry on endangering the internet with the restrictions of a smartphone keypad

vu ja de!
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >