Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2007, 01:33 PM

Begging. What do you think?

Hector will sit at my feet when i eat and watch me. Eventually he gets bored and lies down or finds a toy.
He did used to jump up but soon learnt i didn't want him to do that by saying down.

This doesn't bother me. He doesn't jump up now or whine.

Last night we (myself and housemates) were eating in the lounge, Hec walked over the the feet of one of them and sat down. With that, housemate scooped him up and said "im eating, i am not having you begging" and then locked him in the kitchen.

I was really pissed off tbh. I left it two mins then went into the kitchen with the dog.

Hector will have thought he had done something wrong, when IMO he didn't.

What do you think, is a dog sat at yr feet begging? Was my housemate right?
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 01:36 PM
right or wrong i'd say your housemate didnt have that right!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Sounds like you need house rules for your housemates. Maybe you need to find out what their expectations are and let them know what your rules are for YOUR dog.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I must admit, we don't have the dogs in with us when we eat. They go in the kitchen and either have their own meal or a chewstick.

Ours can beg from the other side of the room on their beds.
Max will drool incessantly while we are eating, even if he is on the other side of the room. We would get whining, drooling, barking and shuffling forward whilst we were eating otherwise.

I would class a dog sat at your feet whilst eating as begging; but it is up to you whether you feel Hector needs to be somewhere else whilst you eat.

I would be maybe having a word with your housemates about expectations and rules for Hector.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah i will be having words, but i just wanted another persons perspective on the situation tbh.

I think probably the best thing is to just stay out of the lounge with Hector until he finishes eating.

I was livid though that he chose to remove him! i guess its a bit like the 'i can discipline my child but you can't'
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-10-2007, 01:54 PM
My lot have always begged, very rarely get, but doesnt stop them trying, they do it by sitting there focused on the food, you will get the odd "paw" and "drool curtains"(tend do be meat what causes this) off Star but its nothing major so does not bother me.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Fudge is the absolute drama queen when it comes to begging. she (if allowed) shuffles closer and closer and then sneaks her front end up (staying close to the chair) and then lays her head right next to the plate looking up and fluttering her lashes. of course we do not let her do this! Mostly she gets told to go and lie down which she mostly does.I do think sitting and watching would be classed as begging though.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Kicks View Post
right or wrong i'd say your housemate didnt have that right!
I agree with Kicks, your housemate didn't have the right, if he/she didn't like it, he/she should have asked you to do something about it
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 03:09 PM
My husband hates this too, but it doesn't bother me. If Georgie goes and sits on the floor in front of him when he's just sat down with his dinner, he always tells him to go away, even though he's not even doing anything! If I'm eating on the sofa, he'll sometimes come and lie at my feet, but doesn't attempt to beg even though I sneak him little bits of leftovers whilst o/h isn't looking - so it's all my fault really!

I can also see it from the other side though, i.e. your housemate's, coz after all, he/she's probably paying the same amount of rent into the place as you are and, therefore, is entitled to sit down and enjoy her food in peace perhaps??? If I didn't like dogs, it would miff me too if one came and sat down at my feet when I wanted to eat a meal. If I don't want my dog lying there when I'm eating I just say, go away, and he does, but that's very rare coz I like him lying down alongside the sofa when I'm on it!

Maybe this housemate doesn't actually like dogs and is only tolerating yours perhaps? Find out on that one!!!

Personally, I'm not particular about little kiddies that are annoying, so I probably feel the same way about them if they come over to me when I want some peace and quiet on the sofa (not that they do here!!!)as your housemate does with your dog, especially when it's a dog that might annoy them by staring up at them when they're eating, that would pee me off, especially if I didn't like dogs! Like I said, it really doesn't bother me though if it's a dog that's doing it!!!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2007, 03:18 PM
It's your house, your dog so I think your guest over stepped the mark.
I consider begging to be pawing at the plate, whining, trying to get food not just sitting quietly. My lot just all sit around me when I eat, as they do all the time, they know they'll get the odd bit occasionally but they also know they get nothing if they jump up!
Becky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >