View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
colliecrazy1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2006, 10:12 PM
The Crate Training Advis, Does work, Meg was 10wks and Never been in a Crate...before, It took 3 wks But we Just kept going and After nearly 3 wks She Just slept right through the night, and the Thing i found with meg....was Is She Can see you, then Do Not keep Looking But if i was Out the room, To keep a Radio on @ all times, Dont give them time to be Board......Alway leaving Somthing for them Todo, really Helped meg.....Good luck.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Crate training can take a while...the advice offered so far has all been fantastic, all I can add is that the aim is to make your pup WANT to go in there, it has to be the puppys own place that it's happy in, make it comfy and cosy and give it a special treat in there when it's in and awake that it wouldn't get normally. Feed it in there until it's happy in there. During the night, make it clear that it's bedtime and there's no playing, we do this by putting a cloth over the crate, our pup knows when the cloths over, that's it, he has to settle. This takes a few weeks but it works. Good luck, it really is worth perservering.
Hoochy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Carternm31
I have tried the clock and hot water bottle. Unfortunatly i dont have a radio handy. but still no luck. However i have sectioned off our bedroom and she seems happier staying in there, so i may scrap the crate and just buy a dog bed

I wouldnt scrap the crate but i would buy a dog bed and get her used to that and then maybe put it inside the crate, you are better to have a crate, peace of mind when you are out and believe or not the dog will eventually feel very secure in it, Hooch slept in his all the time, it was kinda like a security blanket the only other advise I can offer to you is to be patient she will take to it o and definitley try the radio!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2006, 08:44 PM
We got Max to settle in the crate by having one of my hubby's t-shirts in there with him. We took one that was ready for washing (so it smelled of him) and put it in his bed at night. We've done that for 2 or 3 nights and I'm really please with Max's progress.

W've had him since Good Friday and he now sleeps without a hot water bottle, without a cover over his cage and mostly all way through the night (with the occasional wake-up for toilet duties).

He crates himself when he is tired (we only lock him in at night) - it is filled with blankets, toys, chewed up paper etc - a real boys den!

Shelley
x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2006, 10:54 AM
some pups are clingier than others, our current pup is much more clingy than any of the others we've had so night time training and crate training has taken longer, perhaps you've just got a clingy one...it took us up to a month for him to settle properly. Your pup will get there just keep being kind and patient and he'll soon adjust. Good luck!!!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2