View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 08:11 PM
I always cook mine so they are nearly covered in fluids and then use the liquid as a stock to make gravy and it's always lovely!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Ohh, I didn't know that Malka
How stupid am I?!
I've learnt something new now and I've been using my slow cooker for ages! I cooked a huge piece of lamb yesterday and I always thought you had to cover it completely with liquid

Mind you this is from the person who thought they would cook Shepherd's pie in their slow-cooker!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2011, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I've learnt something new now and I've been using my slow cooker for ages! I cooked a huge piece of lamb yesterday and I always thought you had to cover it completely with liquid

Mind you this is from the person who thought they would cook Shepherd's pie in their slow-cooker!
No, you cannot do that but you can cook a meatloaf in a SC!

The reason you do not need much liquid is because as the moisture in the meat/vegetables cooks it produces steam, and the steam condenses on the lid so that it forms a "seal", keeping all the steam in and thus it produces all the liquid necessary.

Which is why you should not keep lifting the lid of the SC while cooking, as that breaks the "seal", steam escapes, and the temperature inside drops.

The only things that do, of course, need covering completely are bones/vegetables when making soup, or soaked dried pulses if you are cooking those in the SC. Or if you are boiling a ham or gammon joint.

Trust me - I have been using the things for over 30 years now and have never burned anything in one yet!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Well...they are in the slow cooker......*fingers crossed*!
Hope they turn out ok, cos they weren't cheap!
Off to hospital now...so leaving them in the faith they wont burn or something lol
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2011, 08:13 AM
If you set the SC on Low and added just the necessary small amount of liquid, then you should have no problems.

at the hospital.

Malka x
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
If you set the SC on Low and added just the necessary small amount of liquid, then you should have no problems.

at the hospital.

Malka x
Thankyou
I did as the recipe you posted said! Put on a bed of veg, and a cupful of liquid (went with stock, as I dont 'do' alcohol )

Hospital went fine thanks
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2