Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cketernity
New Member!
Female 

21-11-2007, 10:57 AM

help needed for my scared pup

hiya i am new to this site ..i have had my pup since she was 11wks old she is a bullmastiff ,she has always been scared of most things but in the home she feels secure now .taking her for a walk is such a problem i need to help her feel safe and secure on walks ,if she is approached by a person or another dog is just turns into a heap of jelly hides behind your legs etc ..people give you some strange looks thinking u have hurt her but this is not the case she has never been smacked she has be told firmly with a NO .pleas can someone give me some tips on how to make her enjoy the walks and not feel like its a bad thing

thank-you
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2007, 11:40 AM
There is a very good article on this site called desensitising shy pups. Just click on the orange tab marked articles and you will find it under training.
O ther advice I have been given includes being a very jolly person while you are out with your dog and not giving her lots of sympathy while still remaining kind and understanding.
She may grow out of this kind of behaviour if you stick at giving her lots of positive pleasant experiences when strange people and dogs are around, eg giving a treat or have the stranger give her a treat. I hope you find the article useful and that things improve.
cketernity
New Member!
Female 

21-11-2007, 11:45 AM
thank-you for the advice ..what you are sayin i am already doin i also have an older bullmastiff too so she is used to being with another dog ..she is so different with her she play fights and loves the neighbours lab ..when we walk in the park she walks off lead but never leaves my side
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by elmac13 View Post
O ther advice I have been given includes being a very jolly person while you are out with your dog and not giving her lots of sympathy while still remaining kind and understanding.
Totally agree with this. I have a very nervous bitch. She's been with us over 18 months now, and is still nervous when out. She's fine with dogs, it's people she's terrified.
Act confident when you are out walking, make sure you don't take any nonsense - hope things improve for you