View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Hey Amanda... I've got Kia with them through recommendations from a few people I know but not had any dealings with them yet (and hopefully won't have to!) But I did look around a few insurers and they were the best for me...

£10.60 a month and a £75 excess and the policy hasn't changed much from what mini posted above

HTH!

xoxox
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 07:42 AM
Thanks Sarah. I'm considering them as apparently they are the same underwriters as Petplan. They will also cover me for an extra £2500 owe year on a lifetime policy than my petplan policy for less premium.

Does anyone know

1) Is it a annual policy as in you MUST pay for the whole year, even if you pay in installments? I.e. You can't cancel mid policy until renewal or if your dog dies, you still need to pay the whole year? That's how the small print read to me. I thought Petplan was like that but I rang recently as I'm due to renewal and they said I could cancel anytime....which surprised me.

2) Does anyone know if they as about your dogs behaviour/temperment during application? I went through 90% of the application process and stopped short of payment and they didn't ask. When renewal comes up do they ask?

3) Will most vets claim directly from them?

4) Has anyones premiums rocketed unreasonably over the years?

5) If you do claim, does that rocket your premiums? (apparently Petplan don't do this)

I'm considering changing from Petplan because they are so expensive but I also know you get what you pay for and I feel like I'm taking a huge gamble by leaving them....eeep!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 08:59 AM
All mine are with AXA (after a recommendation). So far the premiums are reasonable and didn't go up enormously at renewal. I am in the process of my first claim with them and, so far, they have paid up although the girl at the vet who deals with the claims mistakenly didn't send off the first bill (for £600+) and I am still waiting for that to be paid. They paid up the subsequent four bills (£180 in total) no problem. It took ages but I later found out that the vets took about five weeks to send the claim off (with Christmas in the way) so I am going to ask if they will claim direct from AXA in future.

I've never been asked about temperament.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 10:23 AM
just had a look on their website after reading this thread, and it would cost me £9.40 a month with a £75 excess, and asbo would cost £14.63. why is his more do you think?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:20 PM
k, I'm considering biting the bullet and switching from Petplan to AXA. Axa cover me for £7000 per year for £18 a month, compared with £4000 for £30 a month with Petplan.

I've looked at Pinnacle/HelpUCover (£6000 per year for £20) who have personaly been recommended to me by friends however they have two stipulations which have caused me a bit of worry with Petplan
1) Require an annual dental check (which stress Cain out hughely when a vet does it)
2) The "does your dog have vicious tendancies" questions, which I'm never sure how to answer!

From the small print, it doesn't seem that AXA require annual dental checks and nor do they seem to ask about your dogs temperment. Which is great! Seems I'll get the highest cover for the lowest price with AXA (£4000 up to £7000 is a huge increase!)

So before I do.....please does anyone have anything to add about AXA? Good or bad? I've heard they can take a longt ime paying out?

I fee like I'm taking a huge gamble by dropping Petplan (who I picked because of their good reputation for paying out), so please reassure me that I'm not mad....!!!!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Clo- I think Asbos would be more because he is a puppy. Simba and Gemmas are more than Flints but go down next year once they are over a year old.
Carla0305
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Just put my 3 over to them. Was with healthy pets but since they are the underwriters for HP i was paying more for no reason.

No temprement questions Moon's mum, no dental checks.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Great thread xxx Thanks for bringing it back up xxx
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Carla0305 View Post
Just put my 3 over to them. Was with healthy pets but since they are the underwriters for HP i was paying more for no reason.

No temprement questions Moon's mum, no dental checks.
Thank you Carla0305, that's really good to know The annual dental check really upsets Cain. It's fine with me, I cam fish in his mouth and I've even started cleaning his teeth, but he really hates a stranger doing it. After the last dental check I had to start a training programme to get him comfortable with me in his mouth again, so I'll be glad to see it go. Axa's dental cover seems to be similar to Petplans anyway (accidental and illness related only). And being a rescue dog with some fear aggression problems, the temperment question has always made mr uncomfortable (no, he's not "vicious" but I always feel like I'm lying to them!!). Maybe I'm too honest for my own good But I like not being asked. Giving myself another day or two to be sure, but as Petplan is already £30 before he's two years old, I can't see me being able to keep affording his premiums if the go up every year. It'll be £70+ by the time he's 8!
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Toby was over 1 yr old at renewal time, didn't make much difference. Ours went up a couple of pounds this year and the excess has gone up to £75. They have paid out all our claims no problem so far.

Not very helpful on the phone though, they are 'non-advisory' so won't tell you if they'll cover a potential treatment before you go ahead with it. Quote the small print to them and if you think you're entitled stick to your guns!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >