Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Perhaps both of you should shout a little louder and publisize your feelings more often than on one race per year then. Just a suggestion.
High profile races will draw more attention

I dont follow racing much but when I do I dont see horses die at every race I watch
But its not pretty much guaranteed that a horse/horses will die at the Grand National

I am more than happy to say that of course in all things there are risks and accidents happen - and even deaths

But for me for such a small field to have so many deaths in just this one race the risk is too great for the horses
How many jokeys would want in on the race if it was them not the horses dying?

Risk is OK, excitment fine, but to pretty much guarantee that one or more horses will die in that one race - it is too much
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
High profile races will draw more attention

I dont follow racing much but when I do I dont see horses die at every race I watch
But its not pretty much guaranteed that a horse/horses will die at the Grand National

I am more than happy to say that of course in all things there are risks and accidents happen - and even deaths

But for me for such a small field to have so many deaths in just this one race the risk is too great for the horses

Risk is OK, excitment fine, but to pretty much guarantee that one or more horses will die in that one race - it is too much
All jockeys know sitting on a horse is a risk, and some do die!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
Abbie, I know several horses who've broken legs, and even broken a neck in the field, I also know a 5 year old that had a heart attack in his stable one morning!
Indeed. My best friend lost a horse whilst riding on our local beach - something she did every week with her horse. The horse mis-stepped, hit a hole and broke it's leg so badly, the bottom portion was hanging on with a few strips of skin. Of course, we called the vet out, and the horse had to be shot whilst still on the beach.

We do still go on the beach, but now we have an 'outrider' - usually her step-son, who is on his bike and does a recce in front to check terrain.

There is always, always a risk. I do think they could change things more in the GN (make the field smaller etc), but anyone who takes a horse anywhere (including local shows, pony clubs etc) knows that getting on a horses back is a risk to both rider and horse.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Not read the thread since I last posted (because of the ridiculousness of it)... but wanted to reply to this...

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
There are FAR more horses that die during the Grand National (well, any race really), than jockeys that do. The risk to the horse is FAR greater, than that of the jockey.

I wonder when the last time 2 jockeys died during the one race was... I actually would be interested in knowing that. Also, would be interested in knowing any race where there are multiple jockey deaths practically every year... I am sure that if such a thing existed, it wouldn't continue and I doubt that many jockeys would want to enter a race with such a high risk of death... It seems acceptable for that to continue though, when it is the HORSES that are dying.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Indeed. My best friend lost a horse whilst riding on our local beach - something she did every week with her horse. The horse mis-stepped, hit a hole and broke it's leg so badly, the bottom portion was hanging on with a few strips of skin. Of course, we called the vet out, and the horse had to be shot whilst still on the beach.

We do still go on the beach, but now we have an 'outrider' - usually her step-son, who is on his bike and does a recce in front to check terrain.

There is always, always a risk. I do think they could change things more in the GN (make the field smaller etc), but anyone who takes a horse anywhere (including local shows, pony clubs etc) knows that getting on a horses back is a risk to both rider and horse.
You make the fences smaller, you will have more injuries/fatalities!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Yes of course they do
But if it was as many as the horses that are dying in this one race I bet they would think twice

Its not that there is a risk of death - its the fact that the risk seems so much higher than for other things
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

16-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Not read the thread since I last posted (because of the ridiculousness of it)... but wanted to reply to this...

There are FAR more horses that die during the Grand National (well, any race really), than jockeys that do. The risk to the horse is FAR greater, than that of the jockey.

I wonder when the last time 2 jockeys died during the one race was... I actually would be interested in knowing that. Also, would be interested in knowing any race where there are multiple jockey deaths practically every year... I am sure that if such a thing existed, it wouldn't continue and I doubt that many jockeys would want to enter a race with such a high risk of death... It seems acceptable for that to continue though, when it is the HORSES that are dying.
I was not comparing one to the other, the question was asked

I answered, jockeys know the risk to their own safety,a and sometimes sadly they do die.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 02:55 PM
You make the fences smaller, you will have more injuries/fatalities!
Sorry, I meant reduce the number of horses....
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes but its only the grand national that matters! the antis only pop up once a year SB.
How do you know what people do, and do not do, away from Dogsey?

Also, when a thread is title 'The Grand National' then I think you should expect that the posts will be in regards to the GN. If a thread was opened about other horse 'sports' then I would give my opinions on those too.

Originally Posted by tazer View Post
A total of 40 horses in the national
Over 12 years
= 480 horses

23 fatalities = 4.792%

This is neither me expressing an opinion for or against the race. I'm providing numbers, facts, that's all.
You guys can use them as you see fit.
My maths isn't my strongest point but I make that roughly the 1 in 20 already mentioned... Which is FAR too high odd for my liking.

Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Wrong Dawn, I spend time away from this site supporting campaigns and spreading the word about the deaths that occur in the greyhound and horse racing world all year long.
You don't have a clue what people do away from here so don't go making out we only think about one race on one day. Thats far from the truth and I find it very insulting.
Good post!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 02:59 PM
I was not comparing one to the other, the question was asked

I answered, jockeys know the risk to their own safety,a and sometimes sadly they do die.
Yes, but the risk for them is a completely different thing to what it is for the horses.

If say, 1 in 1000 jockeys died (that is a completely made up number) then I am sure a lot of them wouldn't see it as anywhere near as big a risk as 1 in 20 dying... So, regardless of the fact that jockeys do die, the risk to them is very different to that of the horses.
Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »