View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:27 PM
I don't really go to supermarkets anymore, round these parts it appears to have become a family day out where 4 generations can go round leisurely sniffing all the clothes conditioner. I kid you not.

That said when I do I don't tend to hang around long enough to look at the bargain section, but I have on occasion parked in the parent and child spaces. I wouldn't dream of parking in a disabled space, but having children is a lifestyle choice, not a disability. If you struggle to get your kids out of the car and into the supermarket with a normal sized space then I'd seriously question your ability to look after children tbh!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I don't really go to supermarkets anymore, round these parts it appears to have become a family day out where 4 generations can go round leisurely sniffing all the clothes conditioner. I kid you not.

That said when I do I don't tend to hang around long enough to look at the bargain section, but I have on occasion parked in the parent and child spaces. I wouldn't dream of parking in a disabled space, but having children is a lifestyle choice, not a disability. If you struggle to get your kids out of the car and into the supermarket with a normal sized space then I'd seriously question your ability to look after children tbh!
Have you tried it? Spaces are tiny, if someone then parks tight up against you and you can barely get the doors open how exactly do you get the kids in? Do you leave them in trolley and move car? Do you shove them through the front seat which I have to do before just because someone has parked so close.

Not saying it's s right, but it does make it slot easier therefore if there is a space provided why should it not be utilised rather than someone who doesn't need the extra space just can't be bothered walking further use it instead?

As I say I think they should pop the parent & child spaces further away so they don't get abused.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well what do you think the people who take the lot do with it, throw it away?

Still cannot understand why people think that buying something that is on sale is somehow selfish?!

A total mystery to me.
Lots of the ones in our local place just buy stuff cos it's got a yellow sticker on and will grab handfuls as they're put out, parking their trolley across to block anyone else getting a look. While hilarious to watch, you're stood there wondering if they're really going to use 97 bits of deli pork pie reduced with a date of that day, and 37 blocks of cheese.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Lots of the ones in our local place just buy stuff cos it's got a yellow sticker on and will grab handfuls as they're put out, parking their trolley across to block anyone else getting a look. While hilarious to watch, you're stood there wondering if they're really going to use 97 bits of deli pork pie reduced with a date of that day, and 37 blocks of cheese.

Maybe they are having a party?

But it does not really matter does it, everyone is free to spend their money how they wish or not spend it. Everyone is free to buy what is on sale.

We are very lucky in this country, in some countries there is not the choice, in the old Soviet block some people used to queue all day and food was rationed if available at all.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Maybe they are having a party?

But it does not really matter does it, everyone is free to spend their money how they wish or not spend it. Everyone is free to buy what is on sale.

We are very lucky in this country, in some countries there is not the choice, in the old Soviet block some people used to queue all day and food was rationed if available at all.
My mum still remembers rationing here---and it didn't end till the early fifties properly.

Just in time for me to indulge myself unashamedly!

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Yes, My mum used to tell me how they used to slice Mars Bars so that everyone could have a piece!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't think I have ever seen anyone clear the reduced section like that but I always go and look to see what they have on offer as I am shopping on a budget. Not sure if it would bother me all that much if someone did clear it up though.

I have been known to follow someone round who is reducing the stock. Why not? Why shouldn't I get the bargains?

People parking in the parent and child can be annoying. Also, when people who have children in the car but only one adult is running in. It's not as though they have to get the kids out! The Asda at Preston has a few parent and child near the entrance but more on the edge of the car park, which I don't mind at all. It's the bigger spaces which I like, although with my son coming up to 3, I don't think it is going to be necessary to use them for much longer. However, I am rubbish at parking and do like the bigger spaces lol.

Helen
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post

I have to say that is a rotten attitude to have! Doesn't matter if you agree with it or not that is the way it is done to help make sure children are safe and mums with buggies and toddlers can get them strapped in properly.

If you didn't agree with people using bicycles would that mean you could drive your car in the bike lane?

rune
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Probably folk mass buying freeze on the day. Ive not seen that. Most i see take what they have already got (non reduced) & dump it in reduced section to take reduced stuff!

As for blocking it - at risk of being lynched i guess i could be accused. I have said mum in her wheelchair plus disabled trolley attached to the chair. Parking her elsewhere isnt an option as she likes to see the "bargains". I do try to be quick & move a bit if someone else comes along.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
but having children is a lifestyle choice, not a disability. If you struggle to get your kids out of the car and into the supermarket with a normal sized space then I'd seriously question your ability to look after children tbh!
Oh come on, you don't really believe that, do you?? Have you tried getting a baby out of a car seat, or even getting a car seat out without banging your door on the neighbouring car??

Helen
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >