Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Well, as sad as this is, I've just been having a conversation with my Dad (who was an Energy Efficiency Engineer??) and he has told me loads of really helpful stuff I could tell you - if I wasn't a tinsy bit tipsy and had forgotten!

I'll see if I can get him to read this and reply to answer some of the questions.

One thing I do remember is he agrees with this:

Although he was against thermostatic controls for individual radiators - but I can't remember why? I came on here to help.....honest!
Well you're a fat lot of good aren't you
Wonder why he was against thermostatic controls - which suits me cos I haven't got any
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 11:46 AM
if i remember right when my rads were fitted they had just come out and back then the gas man said they were not effective and made the boiler work harder

i think these days with better boilers they are said to be very efficent ...i still haven't got them fitted just didn't get round to it

its all changed so much in the last few years most boilers are now combi condensers ( not got one of those either LOL )
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
if i remember right when my rads were fitted they had just come out and back then the gas man said they were not effective and made the boiler work harder

i think these days with better boilers they are said to be very efficent ...i still haven't got them fitted just didn't get round to it

its all changed so much in the last few years most boilers are now combi condensers ( not got one of those either LOL )

Yes I had a gloworm back boiler and firefront fitted about 9 years ago and I would love a new fire front but can't get one now apparently. I hate the one I have but I would have to replace the back boiler too to get a new one and I can't afford to. Can't even have a fire surround either cos its too far up the bloomin wall
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 11:55 AM
they are much more efficent than even a few years ago

my lounge fire is electric we only use it for the coal glows
i don;t like seeing the meter spinning round LOL
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
they are much more efficent than even a few years ago

my lounge fire is electric we only use it for the coal glows
i don;t like seeing the meter spinning round LOL
No I don't use mine much either cos for one thing I can't get a fireguard to fit it cos its too far up the wall and another thing I think the living flame ones are a lot more expensive to run than the radiant ones aren't they I really really wish we had chose a radiant one now but my mum who used to live here liked the look of the living flame ones I just put the light on underneath for the coals to light up now
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Do you know it's cheaper to run an electric fire these days than a gas one due to the awful price of gas!

We've just had new heating put in with a combi condensor boiler, it's great no more heating a tank of water for baths, just a constant supply, now every appliance in our house is A or A* rated energy efficency so we'll see if our winter bill is any cheaper than normal.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 12:16 PM
did you have to wait for the tank to heat before then ??
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 12:17 PM
yes.....awful with 3 teenage daughters in the house!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 12:19 PM
oh i see.........mine is constant hot water so no waiting

glad you don't have to wait now much easier x
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Well you're a fat lot of good aren't you
Wonder why he was against thermostatic controls - which suits me cos I haven't got any
I know, but it's the thought that counts!

I think he said having seperate thermostatic controls on the radiators means the boiler will be firing more often to regulate several different temperatures in different rooms, where as 1 thermostat would mean it's firing less often as it's keeing the house at one temperature.
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >