Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Husband thinks I'm weird

Because I cant bear to eat the cockerels I raised from eggs, sorry but the thought of it makes me feel ill, I think Im going off chicken all together, I just made 8 huge pasties out of 2 of them but I cant taste test them so he has to test em, anyone else think like me or am I a wierdo lol.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 05:12 PM
No I'm with you When we got our hens (layers not meat birds) we stopped eating any chicken, shortly after we became total vegetarians.

However, the fact that you have raised them yourself means you know that they have had a good life, which is more than some do...
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 05:35 PM
I can totally understand where you are coming from, I've been vegetarian for over 40 years and the thought of eating anything that was once alive makes me cringe, let alone something that I had raised.

Daniel laughs at me as I talk to the bulls at the Toot when we go past, but I feel sorry for them, they are totally happy and living an organic life, but I know what's destined for them, poor things.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 06:48 PM
I must be weird too LOL! I have cockerels that I have raised and there is no way I will be able to eat them. I cannot look lambs in the eye that I know are going away to market (and will more than likely be bought for slaughter) and it took me quite a while to get my head around eating the Highland cattle we look after for the estate! In fact, it had to be mixed up with "strange" beef in the freezer so I didn't know when I was roasting a cow I knew!!!

I am weird in the fact that I love meat and even though it is logical to be happy to eat the meat we have raised ourselves knowing it has had the best life etc, it just makes me feel too odd! Strange I know! I don't make the best farmer's wife LOL!

Hubby has talked a few times about raising a few pigs for the freezer but I have put my foot down about that ... there is just no way I could have what in effect would be a pet pig and then send it off to make sausages and bacon!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 06:53 PM
I am not a vegetarian and don't think I ever could be but I certainly would not be able to eat a chicken I had reared or looked after
So no you are not weird
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 07:01 PM
We've slaughtered and eaten chickens and turkeys that we have raised ourselves...

Whilst the end process isn't pleasant, I like to know that the birds we eat have had a good life, I know what they've eaten etc and they have had a quick slaughter. It's quite satisfying to eat a roast turkey for christmas knowing that the whole process has been in your control.

The way I see it, if you have raised them for meat, then they're not pets...
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 07:20 PM
We slaughtered turkeys last christmas and ate them and I was pleased that we did. We also slaughtered some ducks this year and they are in the freezer.

When we got the turkeys last year, I wasn't sure whether I would be able to be there when they were killed. It came to the day and I thought I had to as I had helped raise them. Rob did the actual killing as I don't think I would be strong enough (or really want to), but I did assist him. We killed 3 and it did get easier. Have to say it was a delicious Christmas lunch!!

I think now I have done it once, I am ok. I obviously don't love doing it but I like the fact that I have raised something and know that it has a brilliant, free range life.

Helen
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 07:48 PM
I know the boys had a wonderful life, they were completely free range and I dont mind him eating them, I just cant bring myself to lol, my friend has 2 lovely little lambs that she is fattening for slaughter, she says she's gonna invite us round for a lamb roast, couldnt eat them either. And now OH is thinking about rearing rabbits for the pot too, eeeuuuw. I also know that out of every dozen eggs I incubate, chances are there will be as many cockerels as hens , Im too soft
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
When we got the turkeys last year, I wasn't sure whether I would be able to be there when they were killed. It came to the day and I thought I had to as I had helped raise them. Rob did the actual killing as I don't think I would be strong enough (or really want to), but I did assist him. We killed 3 and it did get easier. Have to say it was a delicious Christmas lunch!!
I'm not physically strong enough to do the slaughter either... I tend to do the restraining etc....

We did 8 last year, but this year we're not doing any (not enough time etc)
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Strange I know! I don't make the best farmer's wife LOL!
I was just thinking that - in the nicest possible way of course!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >