Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2013, 01:39 AM

Time to muzzle Jadey...

This morning.. Jade and I went on our first solo walk in... well forever. Children wait at the bus stops at this time of morning. I used to walk Brownie all the time and the kids loved him and would pet him and play with him and everything.

Well, a group of kids I usually see at this time came barreling up to me as usual, hoping to pet and play with "Brownie" as usual. As they rushed up to me.. I of course was trying to say "NO, you guys!"

Jade told them before I could. Jade isn't well socialized and cannot STAND children. She dislikes kids more than anything else. They're noisy, they're intrusive, and to her.. frankly they're downright scary. She snarled viciously and lunged at the group of kids... they all went back screaming and hollering.

I pulled Jade to my side and calmed her and explained to them that Brownie had passed away and that this was not the dog they remembered. I also apologized for Jade's anti social behavior as they were 10-12 year olds and not like 5 year olds. They paid attention and noticed that the dog looked different. They got themselves together and understood and a few of them seemed rather upset but that's to be expected.

SO! Now I'm going on Thursday to have Jade fitted for a muzzle as that was closer of a call than I really would have wanted. We're going to skip the morning walks for a few days! I'm also going to be getting some mace as a stray dog came up on us today and it was another closer call than I would have wanted. Either way, thus begins the reign of Jadey!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Oh dear, Jade is going to keep you occupied both mentally and physically isn't she

It's lovely to read about your burgeoning new relationship, and I just know that you are both going to end up with a very special bond - different to with Brownie perhaps, but just as lovely and rewarding.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Oh dear, Jade is going to keep you occupied both mentally and physically isn't she

It's lovely to read about your burgeoning new relationship, and I just know that you are both going to end up with a very special bond - different to with Brownie perhaps, but just as lovely and rewarding.
Oh, yeah.. we're doing great. She's learning not to jump up on beds and do naughty things. We're gonna make it. She's 10 so I'm hoping she'll make it to Brownies age... or longer! Thanks for the well wishes, we're going to need them!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2013, 07:15 PM
I introduced my dog to a muzzle because of his potential and real aggression to other dogs and to be honest I haven't looked back. I think what i found the most upsetting is rather than people feeling reassured (he's always good with people) they act far more scared of him. I experimented one day and took him out on his lead without his muzzle but sporting a bright pink coat and people's reaction to him was completely different.

I'm sure you already know but there is an excellent video by Chirag Patel on introducing your dog to a muzzle.

One last thing - did you report the stray to the wardens?

Sandy

Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
This morning.. Jade and I went on our first solo walk in... well forever. Children wait at the bus stops at this time of morning. I used to walk Brownie all the time and the kids loved him and would pet him and play with him and everything.

Well, a group of kids I usually see at this time came barreling up to me as usual, hoping to pet and play with "Brownie" as usual. As they rushed up to me.. I of course was trying to say "NO, you guys!"

Jade told them before I could. Jade isn't well socialized and cannot STAND children. She dislikes kids more than anything else. They're noisy, they're intrusive, and to her.. frankly they're downright scary. She snarled viciously and lunged at the group of kids... they all went back screaming and hollering.

I pulled Jade to my side and calmed her and explained to them that Brownie had passed away and that this was not the dog they remembered. I also apologized for Jade's anti social behavior as they were 10-12 year olds and not like 5 year olds. They paid attention and noticed that the dog looked different. They got themselves together and understood and a few of them seemed rather upset but that's to be expected.

SO! Now I'm going on Thursday to have Jade fitted for a muzzle as that was closer of a call than I really would have wanted. We're going to skip the morning walks for a few days! I'm also going to be getting some mace as a stray dog came up on us today and it was another closer call than I would have wanted. Either way, thus begins the reign of Jadey!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2013, 07:18 PM
I found the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FABgZTFvHo
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm feeling rather pleased for Jade MG. As you've never been able to do stuff with them together. It's 'her time' and 'her turn' now and I hope you will have many happy years together and another special relationship with her. I know she hasn't been an 'easy' dog and was sort of foist on you but you have the time now to maybe work your magic and turn her round a bit!

I've never had to muzzle a dog but I know what Baxter means about the reaction of some to seeing them muzzled. I've been guilty myself in the past of thinking a dog must be vicious if it is muzzled. I am imagining the reaction of some must be akin to them seeing Hannibal Lector approaching them in his mask lol!

When in the UK last year I saw many dogs muzzled - more than I've ever seen before. Especially greyhounds.

Regarding Dog Wardens where MJ lives (Georgia) I have a pal in that neck of the woods and from stuff she's told me over the years, I don't think it's quite the same set up as in the UK.

We have dog wardens here in Cyprus. Report a dog to them and the outcome is the dog is rounded up (if they can catch it) and PTS. The warden himself will even tell you this if you complain about one saying 'well you know what will happen to it if I take it?' So, unless the dog is attacking anyone viciously, people tend not to. I had to laugh the last time I spoke with a warden who was checking on licences, I was muttering about their time being better spent addressing the street dog problems - he trotted out the 'if I pick him up' line and I did point out to him that he had arrived on a MOPED and how the hell was he ever going to be able to 'pick up' and take away ANY dog on that? Unless it was a stupid teacup breed!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Hi, people. I'm American from Atlanta. We call these "wardens" animal control officers. I really hate calling animal control on people's dogs, I really do. I just want the doggies to go home and be safe. They are usually pit bulls and usually euthanized upon reception due to annoying policies at some of the local shelters. These policies actually don't exist.. but the shelter does what they want since nobody cares about the dogs

I'll be sure to watch the video Sandy. Jade often has a generic muzzle around her mouth for bath times and nail clippings (necktie or bandana), but I never bothered to get a real one until now. I wouldn't even get her a muzzle if it weren't for the children. It would be awful for her to bite a careless, helpless child who only wanted to play with the "pretty doggy". She's very afraid of children and she's a GSD/pit bull (some other mutt) mix and she's very strong and rather mean when she wants to be.

Oh, well! I'm sure it won't be an issue. We're doing well and I hope to post a silly video of her today for viewing pleasure. I'll also post her wearing the muzzle after I get it Thursday, I'm sure she'll catch on just fine. Might grab a toy or two while we're there!
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2013, 10:02 PM
To Tangutica in particular......TEACUP BREEDS ARE NOT STUPID!!!!!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2013, 10:10 PM
It's very sad isn't it these dogs that are left to fend for themselves and through no fault of their own end up being "rescued" by shelters that simply euthanize them. Shame on these horrible people who "home" them and then dump them when they can't be bothered with them anymore.

We too have a problem with an overwhelming number of staffies in rescue kennels and I suspect a lot of them end up being euthanized.

I think once Jadey associates her muzzle with a treat and a walk I don't think she'll mind . And the peace of mind it will give you is worth it.

My doggy loves children, he wags his tail when he seems them but I don't let children near him or him near children, I suspect he would be too rough with them and then I'd have the mother-mafia knocking on my door! Can you imagine that!

It'll be lovely to see your video. I spend far too much money when I got to the pet store - I spent £15.00 (not sure what that is in $ - probably about $23) on a rubber ball with handles that he loves to play tug with.

Good luck
Sandy

Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Hi, people. I'm American from Atlanta. We call these "wardens" animal control officers. I really hate calling animal control on people's dogs, I really do. I just want the doggies to go home and be safe. They are usually pit bulls and usually euthanized upon reception due to annoying policies at some of the local shelters. These policies actually don't exist.. but the shelter does what they want since nobody cares about the dogs

I'll be sure to watch the video Sandy. Jade often has a generic muzzle around her mouth for bath times and nail clippings (necktie or bandana), but I never bothered to get a real one until now. I wouldn't even get her a muzzle if it weren't for the children. It would be awful for her to bite a careless, helpless child who only wanted to play with the "pretty doggy". She's very afraid of children and she's a GSD/pit bull (some other mutt) mix and she's very strong and rather mean when she wants to be.

Oh, well! I'm sure it won't be an issue. We're doing well and I hope to post a silly video of her today for viewing pleasure. I'll also post her wearing the muzzle after I get it Thursday, I'm sure she'll catch on just fine. Might grab a toy or two while we're there!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by manydogz View Post
To Tangutica in particular......TEACUP BREEDS ARE NOT STUPID!!!!!
I didn't read that teacup breeds are stupid as in the actual dog but it is stupid to try to breed them, which I totally agree with. This would be a whole new thread.

I have had the negative attitude with my boys because they wear haltis which are mistaken for muzzles, they are actually friendly towards people but not keen on dogs running up to them.

Good luck with Jadey, I think you are both going to get a whole lot out of this relationship.