Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Vet checks

Do all of you breeders out there vet check and/or give puppy first vaccination before the buyer collects the puppy.

To all puppy buyers, is this something you would expect.

I would vet check puppy and first vaccs (unless buyer specifically doesn't want puppy vaccinated)
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm not a breeder but when I got my pup she was vet checked and had both sets of injections (she was 12 weeks), fully wormed and microchipped as well as all paperwork.

I would expect my pup to be vet checked and 1st set of injections. Microchipping is a benefit too and would probably be good for your peace of mind as well. Wormings a given!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 09:09 AM
I would and have vet check and vacc and worm. It's what a responsible breeder would do.

I don't think a breeder should hand over a pup that has never had a vet check it over. I have been told by someone that it is normal practise, I strongly disagree. I have never had a pup that wasn't.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Would expect vet check & first vac & when I was breeding did so, but would also expect breeder to ask that I take pup to my vet & have check done. This benefits you & breeder. You, as you have corroboration from a third party of health of puppy & breeder because, if anything should go wrong later, she has proof that it was not known about at time of sale.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I have had a big falling out over this, my dog is the stud.

The breeder says that she has never bought one that was vacc. or vet check, she is expecting the owners to do this within 4 days, but I don't think that they should go anywhere until she knows that they are healthy, it's her responsibility as the breeder.

I by the way have never bought one that didn't have first vaccs and vet check.

There shouldn't be a problem but you just don't know.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 03:38 PM
I think it shows the breeder is responsible to check their puppy is healthy and to do the first set of vaccs. It also means they are not just in it for the money and for the actual welfare of the dog.
I can see why you have fallen out! It would make me wonder where she got her dogs as I'm sure most reputable breeders would want to vet check, not just for the home it is going to but for THEMSELVES too. They should want to know their dog is producing healthy pups, and if the dog did have any issues they would need to find a home understanding of its needs.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I would certainly NOT want my pups to be vaccinated for several reasons.

1 it is pointless as a puppy that is leaving at 7 or 8 weeks old should still have plenty of its dam's antibodies, so the first vaccination is a waste of time.

2 When I go to MY vet the vet will only want to do the initial vaccination again if you have not got the card with the batch etc number on and/or if they use a different make/protocol.

3 I want to choose when and where and how my dogs are vaccinated.

Whether or not a breeder gives a first vaccination DOES prove if they are a responsible breeder as responsible breeders would NOT do so for at least two of the reasons above!

I certainly have never bought a puppy that has had its first vaccination at 7 or 8 weeks of age!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Interesting SB I never knew or thought of this.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 05:50 PM
But would you have the puppy vet checked before you let it go.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I do not breed but if I did I would, and so do most breeders I know just in case they have missed something.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >